Do It Well

Jennifer's P.O.V

All our things were packed and ready to get in the car. Suitcases and bags waited at the door, where Alex was starting to feel impatient.

"You can go. I'll catch up." I told him and he rushed to signal the valet to take the baggage to the car.

Although I had been in the Dominican Republic for two months, the best memories I was taking with me had happened in that room, far from the set, the parties or the breathtaking landscapes. But most surprisingly, with a person who had never been in that room.

The car ride to the airport was as awkward as all the moments we had spent together alone. Luckily, the jet was bigger and I just had to pretend I was tired enough to need a nap. Almost seven hours later we were finally back. Home sweet home.

I just had to get off that plane to do it because the moment I set a foot in Los Angeles I saw it clearly, it was the moment.

"We just got back and it already looks like it's going to rain." Alex complained walking down the airstair.

"Alex..." I said looking down to finally take off the engagement ring.

"What are you doing?" He asked surprised.

"This will never work. You know it and I know it." I explained holding the ring.

"Jennifer." He said still in disbelief.

"Maybe you cheated or maybe you didn't but... it was never love." I held it out for him to pick it.

"Wait." He kept trying.

"I'm sure you will find someone who will be perfect for you. Someone who won't have to beg for your attention or lie awake wondering if you're with someone else. When that new chance at love comes to your life... just do it well this time." Not a tear fell from my eyes.

We had lived good moments but I knew love and that's not the way our relationship felt.

"Don't do this. Please." He said as I dropped the ring on his hand.

"I'll have someone give you your stuff back." I said and turned around to get in the car that waited behind me, the door of which someone had already opened. "Good luck, Alex." I said before closing the door.