Us

Jennifer's P.O.V

Some days you wake up completely unaware of what the next hours will hold for you. Anything could happen when you least expect it. Some days can take an unexpected turn. This was one of those days.
I woke up early as usual, I took a protein-rich smoothie for breakfast, and I headed to the studio for a regular morning of rehearsals. Nothing special happened during that time, apart from the fact that everyone did it so well that it looked like the day of the show. Ben was there to pick me up when I walked out around noon, which I didn't expect. Stevie was supposed to be the one doing that but I assumed the plan had changed. He told me not to worry about anything while he drove us to the next surprise of the day. The smile on his face looked like it had been there for a while and I was starting to feel very curious. After that, I didn't expect to go home but when I realized we were heading to the airport, a pressure started building in my chest. Hundreds of questions crossed my mind in an attempt to figure out what he was plotting. However, that wasn't all. Sera, Emme and Max were there too, already waiting on the jet, restless and smiling. They knew what Ben was up to. The last person I saw was Chris, my stylist, sitting behind the kids, and he broke all my theories. Why would he be there? Why would they be there? What was all that about?

"Where are we going?" I asked full of doubts, unable to stay quiet any longer.

"We're getting married. We're flying to Las Vegas. Why waiting? I love you, and I don't need hundreds of people watching us to prove it. We can get married in a few hours if you feel the same way." He explained very excitedly.

"Are we really doing it?" I asked still in disbelief, turning around to look at them and then back at him. "Yes! Let's do it."

I still hadn't had time to wrap my head around the fact that we were engaged, and now we were eloping to Las Vegas. I had waken up thinking it would be a normal day and now it was gaining points to be one of the most important of my life.

Before I could even process the situation, we were standing in line for a marriage license with four other couples. It felt crazy and adventurous. We held each other until it was our turn. What were a few minutes after two decades? Once we got the papers, we drove to the Little White Chapel. It was almost midnight and time was running against us, but we were not gonna let that demoralize us. It wasn't as far as we thought and they agreed to stay open a little longer for us.

Ben changed in the men's room while I changed in the break room. Chris did my makeup and hair in record time and the result was amazing. A dress from an old movie had been the chosen piece for the occasion. I was starting to feel restless. I couldn't wait to go out there and marry the love of my life.

"Here comes the bride" was playing and my heartbeat imitated the rhythm, because for the first time, every fiber of it knew that song was taking me to the right person. When I stood there, finally living and no longer visualizing the moment I had dreamed of, everything felt perfect. It didn't matter that we were doing it in Las Vegas after midnight, in a drive-through chapel, and with most of our closest family members missing. The only thing that mattered was us. I wasn't escorted by anyone, so I began my walk down the short aisle on my own. That view would remain in my memory like fire etched. At the end of the path, Ben stood looking in my direction. His eyes, that had been holding back all the emotion of the moment, were now letting go every tear. Every tear that had been from sadness once, was now from happiness. Three of the five amazing children we were gonna share our life with stood on both sides as the witnesses, excited to be joining in one family and excited to be in charge of something so important. Of course it wasn't real because they were under eighteen, but it was the meaning what was important. With every step I took I was closer to forever, to a lifetime with him by my side and a new family. My name was about to change to be his, and that was the easiest choice I had ever had to make. Only a few more steps were necessary for me to reach them at the end of the aisle, where I took his hand after he stretched his arm to help me take the last steps. The way it felt for me, I was grabbing that hand not only for a moment but to hold it for the rest of my days. I stood in front of him and I smiled behind the veil before he delicately pulled it backwards. Now I could see him clearly and I knew I had never been more ready for anything in my life. To be his wife is something I had been ready since 2002.

"Jennifer... I know this is not the wedding you wanted, but I promise you will have it. And that's just one of the many promises I will fulfill. Forgive my impatience and forgive me for dragging you to Sin City. But today I am finally taking you, the woman I fell in love with twenty years ago, if you give me the honor of being able to call you my wife. For that honor, I promise to never leave your side again, and to love you until my heart is no longer able to keep beating. I promise to make you laugh whether it is eleven in the night or six in the morning, to comfort you in times of grieving and to protect you, as you are part of my own being. I promise to stay faithful to you as long as I live and no matter what life's got in store for us because now we walk this path together, and together we are stronger. I love you so much, Jen. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." After the emotional speech he had to wipe his tears and breathe deeply. "I give you this ring as a symbol of the here and now promised. With this ring, I thee wed."

"Ben... this wedding is all I could wish for. I don't need flowers, centerpieces, expensive ornaments or a thousand guests. All I needed and desired was you to be the one standing in front of me, not just as my husband but also as my best friend and soulmate. The one, that you have always been. I promise to be the shoulder you rest on and your companion throughout your life. I promise to be honest, to respect you, and to grow old with you as we always imagined. Your dreams are now my dreams and I'll live them with you as intensely as if they were my own. The future has never looked better. My husband from this day forward... you are the best man I've ever known. You've showed me that true love actually exists off-screen. I love you for so many reasons, but I love you most for your heart, your true and kind, open and compassionate heart. You are the last piece I needed to make my life complete, so today, here before our amazing kids, I give you this ring as a symbol of a love that has and will always resist time. With this ring, I thee wed." I finished and slipped the ring on his fingers.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. Mr and Mrs Affleck."