Let It Be Me

Jennifer's P.O.V

My ringtone filled the agonizingly silent room. I held my breath as I walked barefoot to the bathroom, where I had left my phone. It was facing the sink when I took it and I could feel my face glowing when I turned it around because his name was on the screen.

It had been hard for me to stay in bed all day as I waited for Alex to leave but I would lie if I said it wasn't worth it. The moment he closed the door behind him I jumped out of bed. The sun was already hiding in the Dominican Republic but in California they still had a few more hours of daylight left.

I chatted with the kids for a while and took a shower, then I sat outside to behold the moonlight reflection on the dreamy sea as the waves were crawling gently to the shore. The view was jaw-dropping. The music of the sea was soothing, like being immersed in a comforting loop of warm sounds and dim light. A sudden cold night breeze passed through my body like electricity. I shivered. As the mesmerizing symphony of nature continued I stood and made my way back to the room to lie in bed just for a few minutes until I heard my phone ringing from the bathroom.

I slid my finger on the screen to pick up. I could hear him breathing on the other side and I smiled wrinkling my nose. I even bit my thumbnail as I saw my reaction in the bathroom mirror.

"Hey." He spoke first.

"Hey." I replied softly. He let me hear a cute snort.

"Let me hear that again." He said clearly smiling near his phone.

"Hey." I repeated with a little chuckle.

"I missed your voice." He said and my face changed to a softer expression. "Still there?"

"Yeah... I'm walking back to the room." I said switching off the light of the bathroom.

"If you were here..." He regretted.

"What?" I laughed and let myself fall backwards on the bed.

"If you were here now... I think we would not make it upstairs." He said in a deep voice.

"Maybe partly up the stairs." I joked.

"Oh you drive me crazy." He said and laughed.

"I feel you so physically close right now. It's crazy." I said.

"Are you biting your lip?" He asked as if he could see me.

I wrinkled my face and smiled. He knew me too well.

"Is it that stair action you can't stop visualizing?" He teased.

"Too tired today so really in a more calm mood." I answered.

"Yeah? Like what?" He asked in a naughty tone.

"Lying on bed. Kissing. Very naked." I said as I played with my hair.

"Go on." He said very interested.

"You stroking my hair. Kissing my neck. Maybe working your way down..." I continued.

"You still know how to turn me on..." He said and paused.

"What are you thinking?" I asked.

"What I would do to you in those warm tropical waters." He answered. "I wanna kiss you right now... I want you so much."

"Ben..." I said in a low voice.

"Jen, let it be me." He said stopping me. "Let it be me the man that you wake up to every morning, the man that makes you feel what no one else can make you feel, the man that knows how to touch you and how you deserve to be touched."

"You know it's complicated." I said with evident sadness in my voice.

"Nothing truly desired comes easy. You know that." He said whispering near his phone.

I remained silent.

"Jennifer, fix whatever you gotta fix. I promise I'll be waiting for you." He said and I believed every word.

"Let's not talk about this now." I said with a quick glance at the door to make sure I was still alone.

"Alright. So, where were we?" He asked in a funny tone.

"I think you were kissing my neck..." I said switching to a smile.

"And pulling off your clothes..." He continued.

"Not much to pull off..." I smiled.

"Picture that for me." He said with a sudden rush.

"I'm only wearing a baggy shirt." I explained.

"Only? You mean with nothing underneath?" He asked surprised.

"Nothing." I answered in a sexy voice.

"Oh my..." He mumbled and I giggled.

"What are you wearing?" I asked.

"You're not gonna believe it. I'm wearing a sexy Christmas pajamas." He said very seriously.

"Still?" I laughed. "Christmas was like three months ago!" I couldn't stop laughing.

"I know but... it looks good on me." He said.

"What happened with sleeping naked?" I was curious.

"Don't worry, I'll be taking it off before I actually go to sleep. It's a bit earlier here." He said and I couldn't help but yawn.

"It's past midnight here. We've been talking for a while now." I said.

"It felt like blinking to me." He said and I smiled slightly. "Are you tired?"

"A bit." I answered struggling to keep my eyes open.

I was a night person. I had always been. But his voice was very soothing and I was comfortably lying on bed so it was a matter of time before I fell asleep.

"Turn on the speaker mode and leave your phone on the pillow next to you. I'll be here until you fall asleep." He said almost whispering.

"Promise?" I asked with a tired smile on my face.

"Promise." He answered in a sweet tone. "Good night."

"Good night." And that's the last thing I said before he could only hear me breathing from the other side.