On My Way

Jennifer's P.O.V

I had been in the kitchen with the cocos since it was still dark outside. It took us a lifetime but the result was worth the while. It wasn't exactly beautiful but the love we had put in it was what really mattered.

I walked barefoot in the room to open the curtains. He was sleeping on his stomach, shirtless and adorable. I reached down to kiss his back and leave soft kisses on his skin.

"Good morning, baby." I said softly in his ear.

As he started to open his eyes slowly I straddled gently on his back to massage his neck and shoulders, and descending.

"Mmm..." He made a sleepy sound of pleasure.

Suddenly, he surprised me, making me roll and fall on the bed to take a dominant position. He stared very close to my face, so much that I could feel his breath on my lips.

"Happy birthday." I whispered underneath his lips.

"Can I open my gift?" He said smiling. "I just have to remove this shirt... and these pants..." He said slipping his hand under my clothes.

"That gift will have to wait." I said meeting his lips for a quick kiss. "Your kids are on their way."

His head fell back on the pillow in a funny way. Maybe he wasn't the biggest birthday person, but I was. And even if it was a small family party, I wanted it to be special.
By the time he had finished brushing his teeth, showering and dressing up, we were ready. Violet, Seraphina and Sam were already there. It was a cute surprise when he came downstairs and all the kids were there to wish him a happy birthday. Sam was holding the cake with Max's help and the rest stood around them. I was standing away from the show overloaded with cuteness but he still managed to find me and look at me with a funny face. He blew the candles cheered by all of them to finally allow them to have cake for breakfast.

It was a summer of changes for us. A family summer. We took the kids to watch the musical Hamilton. Ben's mom joined us that day. We also took them to the Magic Castle before they started school. We spent as much time together as possible. But the end of summer wasn't the end of surprises. Before leaving for the Venice Film Festival, Ben had something planned.

I was getting ready to go to bed early when Ben walked in the room, his face was glowing with joy.

"Okay. I wanna show you something." He said with evident excitement in his voice. "Don't freak out."

"If you tell me not to freak out it is obvious that I'm gonna freak out." I said with a worried expression on my face.

I wasn't expecting him to pull off his shirt but when I saw that tattoo on his arm my jaw dropped. He got two crossed arrows with a B and a J. I didn't know what to say. I was speechless. I could tell he was so nervous about it because when I touched his chest, his heart was pounding fiercely.

"I feel like all this time I was on my way to you." He said causing my eyes to start flooding.

"Ben..." My voice broke.

I didn't know I could fall deeper for him, but in this new chapter of our lives, finally together again, there were many things I couldn't expect. It was a gift from life, just like a flower blooming from the arid ground. I could never fall in love like that again. He was paradise and he was hell. He was a dream and firm ground. His love was poison and was the antidote. He was the spell and I was spellbound.