𝙰 𝙿𝚘𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚂𝚊𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚏𝚒𝚌𝚎

The sound of pounding footfall echoed behind her; she was being hunted along the coastline of Wendlyn and Brielle could feel her nerve grounding down to its ending. If they were going to attack her, they ought to get it over with, everyone meets their ends eventually. And these things hunting her were gaining closer to their own with ever step that drew them closer.

Brielle had scented them about seven miles back, tracking her through the woodlands which she was using as coverage, cocky bastards thought she wouldn't notice them. Did her reputation not proceed her?

Within the last mile they had drawn nearer, and Brielle blades were now hung in her hands in preparation, she would not be caught defenseless.

The undergrowth was dry, and twigs snapped when she weighted down on them, giving away her positioning, the things lurked around. The putrid smell of rot lingered within them, their souls withering. Perhaps these were the same things Teyra and Isaiah had encountered in their last crossing.

When the branch she stepped on snapped, a dark body burst from the tree line. The ill-looking man swung at her, Blade catching the light of the overhead setting sun. Brielle rolled and spun on the ground driving the blade in her right hand up into his abdomen. The man howled in pain, keeled forward but arched his sword down at her in one movement.

Dried grass coated her trouser leg when Brielle threw herself back up, raising her blade the two weapons locked. The man's deathly scent was stronger the closer he leaned; a black substance dripped from his nose. Brielle barred her teeth at the man a second before another figure dashed out, the body slammed into her side, barreling them both to the floor.

Brielle gasped when they collided, a twinge popped in her ribs when they landed on the dried dirt. The man was like a rabid dog as he scratched at her arm, his nails dirty with blood, black blood. 

With a yell Brielle brought her knees up to her sternum, kicking the man in the chest as he circled back on her, reaching for her blade which lay an arm length away, in a pile of burnt-yellowing grass. 

Brielle didn't like the feeling of vulnerability as she clawed her way across the grass to her weapon, a hand grasped her lower leg, twisting onto her back Brielle thrashed her legs as violently her muscles would prohibit, the man's grip tightened, nails cutting through her resolve.

He held her in place his hands becoming a vice grip, Brielle continued to fight, as a third figure floated from the tree line. The older looking man had a dark collar strapped around his throat, Brielle smelt the presence within and tried hard not to balk at the sheer wrongness it emanated. He stalked closer, pulling a blade from a harness on his leg, 

Brielle kicked with both legs, trying to dislodge the other man's grip, 'black collar' crouched down at her side, dagger poised at her throat. The point cool against her skin.

"Tell me " His voice shallow, and odd. Like the owner didn't match the body it inhabited.

"Why is it finding the females of your kind so difficult?"

Brielle frowned, the dagger bobbed into her airway when she swallowed,

The first man that had advanced on her, gripped her arms now, pulling her to a standing position, the man with the dagger rose up, he stood at least a few heads taller than her. A match for Lorcan in height, his skin paler, patches of the it looking as though they had begun to rot away over time, Brielle's eyes scanned the collar once more, something about it had her looking back. 

"My master has us testing on other females of different species, it was going well until they were blown up in an accident, we need new volunteers — I think you'll do nicely"