𝙰 𝙽𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚁𝚎𝚖𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛

The world gave little care to those who didn't bend to the wills of others. With each passing second Brielle could feel a clawing inside her. The pounding in her ears getting louder, Maeve's command trying to break her, she could sense it within her, like a serpent awaiting to strike. Watching from afar.

Her dreams had jolted her to rise late during the night, the magic of the bond smothering her breath from her like it was drowning her of all sense, it was vexing in a way that the ancient blood magic wasn't doing to her mate and brother; both who also bore tasks but showed no sign of it.

Perhaps it was the nature of her task that now had her skin on fire.

Her mate had awoke from beside her when she was up late, Brielle had relished in the comfort his warmth and closeness offered even if it made her skin crawl to touch him, Her command taunting her, a puppeteer pulling the strings from a far.

When he had questioned it, Brielle couldn't bring herself to tell him the truth, not when it could and would change everything, merely thinking of completing it made her stomach roll.

Sitting in an empty bed in the morning, Brielle wished she had told him, if only so she could share the burden of her task. Maeve was probably smug knowing exactly what she had done by giving this task to her, it was torture and she knew it. It was probably still punishment for her defiance prior to Lorcan leaving, a defiance that run deeper then the surface showed.

If only she could wrap both hands around Maeve's throat right now, There was that itch again, Brielle scratched at her forearm, hissing through her teeth when a burning sensation shot up her arm. Sitting up right Brielle glanced down to the limb which was numb with the insistent itch.

The skin was raw, and raised. A small trickle of blood, blooming from the blood vessels which had become visible on her skin like little pinpricks. She could cover it,

So she did, getting ready with ease, Brielle gathered herself, pulling both sleeves down to cover the raw skin she set about moving through the ship, Aiming for the small communal opening below the main deck. Filled with small round tables amongst the supply boxes, this room acted as the dining space for the crew who weren't working or patrolling the ship.

The burning continued in her arm, but Brielle moved off to grab herself a small tray of food, the man was flushed when he handed her it, he seemed to be the only one working to prepare the food, and was rushing around polishing and washing pots at the same time. Brielle would have offered to help but a higher pitched male voice yelled her over from across the small space.

Alexi and Vera were sat with the shifter female that so often was followed around by her nephew. Brielle passed the tray between her hands, bringing the now free hand up to satisfy the itch. Shooting Lysandra a quick smile, the female returned it, as best she could with her cheeks filled with food, Brielle couldn't help but smile in delight, at least some people on this ship hadn't lost their appetite.

Her own tray had an array of dried meats and a fried egg. All with small cloud of steam billowing from their surfaces, Brielle forked them around her tray for a second before she cut of small pieces and began to plop them into her mouth, keeping them small enough to swallow past the lump still present in her throat.

"Is it still classed as murder if you apologise afterwards?" Alexi asked, his expression as enthusiastic as ever for so early in the morning, He glanced around their small table waiting for someone to reply to his question.

"No, Only if you get caught" was Vera'a reply as she took a swig from the water she held.

"Do you two seriously have to discuss this over breakfast?"