Ch. 20

"Well I can't read it," Laxus grumbled as he closed the small notebook and ran a hand over his face, removing his glasses as he did. He sighed before standing up and walking over to his fridge for a cold drink, shooting the simple book a glare as he did.

He sighed when all he found in the fridge were a few liquid ingredients along with a small carton of juice and a few vegetables. Grumbling about needing to go grocery shopping he grabbed the juice and sipped it for a minute his mind trapped on the only words he had been able to decipher from the book after two weeks.

"Experiment, summoning, and lightening." He mumbled to himself as he became lost in thought trying to make some connection between the words but only coming up with more absurd explanations then he had time for. Blinking himself back to reality he placed the carton of juice back in the fridge and began preparing for bed after noticing how late it had gotten.

...

"Gale!" I yelled as I effectively grabbed her arm pulling her up out of the way of a stray Vulcan that had decided to slide toward her. I grunted at the weight before both of us let go of the other and she attacked the creature.

"Iron Dragon's Roar!" She yelled sending a blast of metal at the creature, effectively obliterating it. Nodding my head I twisted in mid air and looked around at the others as they fought a Vulcan each before diving down towards our target.

"Hey!" I yelled surprising the teenage girl before I clumsily landed on the ground in front of her. I resisted the urge to react to her as she flinched and backed away from me. "Look we're here to rescue you so if you don't grab on you're in trouble." I snapped at the girl making her shake slightly before hesitantly grabbing my extended hand.

"I got her!" I yelled before pushing myself up into the sky just as a Vulcan hit one of my wings making it snap painfully. Grimacing in pain I tried to land but could only manage a sloppy loop allowing me to hit the ground instead of our target.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked me as I turned into a human and focused on turning just my arms demonic. I nodded at her before pushing myself towards the Vulcan digging my claws deep into it's stomach before thinking of fire engulfing my hands.

"AWWWOL!" The Vulcan screeched as I burned it's dark green fur before jerking my arms out of it's gut causing it to stumble away. Not giving it any time to recover I tried to jump up and kick only to miss as it stumbled further away and swung an arm at me. My eyes widened as it landed the hit before I could dodge sending me crashing into a nearby tree. I gasped for breath as I slid to the ground before hearing someone scream. Blinking away my daze I looked over to see the girl we were trying to rescue being lifted up into the air by a stray Vulcan that had somehow managed to get past us.

"Look out!" I yelled as I switched into my demon form and swung my arms releasing two waves of light that tore into the Vulcan. "Demon Claw!" I called out as the Vulcan fell dead and released the girl. I watched as Kade ran towards and helped her to her feet before nodding at me.

"Thought you said you got her?" I heard him yell over an angry Vulcan that was facing both Layla and Gale. I shot him a look that he only shrugged at before he pushed the girl towards me. "Go ahead and get her out of here." Kade told me as I grabbed the girl's wrist and began running back towards the town that had hired us. After a few minutes we reached the town and I could see a crowd of people surrounding the people we had already managed to get out of the forest.