Ch. 13

It took me an hour and a half but I finally did it. I stared at the abandoned shack in front of me, noting the vines growing all over it and how the lone window had long since shattered leaving only a few sticks to make the frame and a tattered faintly pink curtain to flutter in the slight breeze. I scanned over it with my eyes from beneath my hood before walking over to where the vines were thickest and pushing them aside to reveal an old sturdy door barely on it's hinges. I pushed on it with effort, listening to it scream in protest as I moved it for the first time in probably the four years I had left. 

"Stupid door," I muttered as it finally opened to reveal the inside of a dust filled room with books scattered on a table with dried out beakers. I looked around the room feeling an emptiness as I did before my eyes fell on a book sitting alone on an old pile of musty blankets. 

"Stupid," I mumbled before rubbing my nose as I hiccuped a sob and let tears fall from my eyes. "I'm crying over a book," I said laughing weakly as I walked over to it and picked it up carefully. I stared at it letting tears run down my face as I let myself fall to my knees and clutch the old book to my chest as my body began to shake filling the shack with the sound of sobbing. 

After a while I stopped and rubbed my eyes looking around the shake again before standing up and walking over to the dust covered table. Being very careful I began to move things around slowly unearthing a partially hidden picture carved into the wood by inexperienced hands. 

"Always remember," I whispered running a finger along the picture that was supposed to resemble a face winking. I laughed weakly as I remembered myself carving it and how much trouble I had gotten into because of it. Then sniffling and rubbing my eyes again I felt for the hidden button under one of the eyes revealing a hole in the wood. Reaching inside carefully I pulled out the a small crystal lacrima a little bigger than my fist and stared at it before looking around for it's stand. 

I gave up after ten minutes of searching, only getting myself covered in dust and grime as a prize for searching. I sighed before walking around the room and grabbing things that, to a normal person seemed useless, but to me was more precious than any money. I was holding the book again a few minutes later along with the crystal as well as an old notebook that held the beginnings of my learning how to write, being careful with the items I held I slipped them into my bag before rubbing my face on my sleeve. I sighed before scanning the room again watching dust shift through the air before turning and walking back out closing the door with a strange sense of ease. I made sure to cover it back up carefully before jogging around the building and into the trees going by faint memory to get to the small hot springs nearby. 

...

"Why do you think Nami-chan didn't want to come?" Gale asked as she and the girl's sunbathed above the boys as they fought below them in the water. 

"I don't know," Layla said lazily with her eyes closed as she laid back enjoying the sun's rays. 

"Well this trip is for her, maybe we should go back and get her. I mean she has to be bored just sitting at the inn all by herself." Elizabeth said as a sharp whistle could be heard causing all three to shot up to see Laxus and Mira standing on the shore with their towels. 

"It's getting close to lunch time, we're heading back to the inn." Mira said causing the boy's to yell happily before charging at the adults.