Ch. 15

"Can you fly?" Igneel asked me a few minutes later as we all sat on the grass nearby eating a picnic lunch. I stopped with a sandwich half way to my mouth and looked at him as the others munched on their own food. 

"That's a good question. I mean Mira can fly in her Satan Soul but her wings are smaller." Kade said thoughtfully while turning his apple in his hands. I glared at him before taking a bite of food to keep from talking. 

"I bet she can't." Layla said sounding sneaky as I shot a glare at her only to meet her grin. "She probably only has big wings because she needs them to shield her." Layla continued earning a few small smiles. 

"For your information, I can fly!" I told them earning 'oo's from the teens around me. I gave Layla a smug look as she raised an eyebrow. 

"Why not show us?" Gale said earning several yeah's from the group while I felt a set of eyes burrowing into me. I gulped and shook my head suddenly regretting my new found confidence around them. "Come on, just for a minute?" Gale begged me as I found a new interest in the small pitcher in front of me. 

"Please?" The group said at the same time making my face burn as I heard Mira laugh from her and Laxus spot behind me. I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut regretting my big mouth and smartaleck self. Then, with fear fueling me, I took a deep breath and released it actually feeling my skin harden as well as my fingers harden and wings grow out of my back with a strange burning tingling sensation. 

"Wow," I heard the boys whisper in a strange voice and opened my eyes to see the others with looks ranging from awe to surprise as I unfolded my wings behind me casting a small shadow over myself. 

"That's so...so," Igneel said waving his hands up and down at me as I looked away from them. 

"Cool!" I heard Layla and Gale squeal making me look up as fast as I could to see the duo smiling like mad men while Elizabeth turned back to the food, finding the small cake Mira had bought at the inn. I looked at them in complete shock before allowing myself a small smile. 

"I'm happy. I'm actually happy." I thought enjoying the feel of happiness washing away a few of my fears as I stood up and looked at them. "You guys want flying? Well watch this!" I thought and shot up off the ground. I looked down at the group as they stood up and cheered at me making the joy I felt grow. I grinned and flew over the spring a few feet away and let myself drop until I was roughly a foot above the water. 

"Well?" I called out as they began running into the water, laughing the whole time. I continued to smile before taking a deep breath to calm my nerves and let my eyes drift down to my reflection. I gasped and gently touched my face when I saw the slashes of dark skin flowing off of my face and onto my neck where it flew down my arms and chest, ending right at my stomach but continuing down my sides to just at my waist line. From the waist down the skin changed colors from the dark black grey to a dark red that reminded me of a very dark strawberry, my legs remained human in shape except for the skin and my toes all melting into each other to resemble the shape of a shoe. 

"Can you carry anyone?" Igneel asked splashing over to me, disrupting the image of myself as he gave me a cheesy grin.