Chapter 5

It's been two weeks since Leo and I first met

It's been two weeks since Leo and I first met. I've seen him nearly every day at the flower shop and it feels so nice to have a friend for once. Nobody gets me the way that he does. Nobody makes me laugh as much as he does. Nobody makes me feel as safe as he does. I don't think anyone will ever live up to Leo Gaines. He even bought me another poetry book after I had finished the first one.

I haven't seen him a lot at school, but that's okay because he still texts me often. I thought it was a long shot randomly texting him at midnight a couple of weeks ago, but ever since, he has been the one to text me first.

It's now the weekend and I have nothing planned for the day. I'm trying to ignore my parents for as long as possible, but that's naive thinking at this point. I might sneak out of the house for a bit and head to the flower shop since I have nothing better to do.

Then, there's a pounding on my door. What could my father possibly want at 7:30 in the morning?

My father enters without warning and sees me still bundled up in my comforter.

"Son, be ready in ten minutes to meet your mother and I downstairs," he says sternly. "We have something important to discuss with you today."

I give a swift nod. My father immediately slams the door shut and leaves.

I rub my hands over my face to eliminate my remaining drowsiness. I throw the covers off my legs and head toward my closet to find something to wear. I would take a shower, but my father only gave me ten minutes to meet him downstairs, and I know better than to be late. I throw on a light green Nike sweatshirt and loose jeans. It takes me about five minutes to completely get ready, including my hair, deodorant, and cologne.

I sit back on my bed and scroll through my phone for a couple of minutes before I have to leave the comfort of my bedroom. I debate texting Leo but ultimately decide not to. I don't want to bother him or appear too clingy, yet it's so relieving to have someone to talk to like a normal person.

When my time to procrastinate finally runs out, I shut my door and head down the steps. I pass one of the maids on my way to the kitchen and greet her with a small smile. I walk under the archway and into the kitchen, where my mother and father sit at the dining room table. They appear to be whispering about something, but when I make myself present, they immediately stop talking.

The dining room table is piled with many different foods, and the cook seems to be cooking more in the kitchen. I already know what this is. They are trying to butter me up with food so they can tell me something I don't want to hear.

That's just peachy.

"Good morning, son." My mother says and gestures to the chair across from her and Father. "Please take a seat. We have to talk to you about something."

I hesitantly make my way over to the seat and spot Oliver in the corner of my eye. He seems to be on standby, ready to do whatever ridiculous thing my parents ask of him. Oliver catches my gaze and sends me a wink. I have to try and not make any noticeable reaction on my face.