Chapter 40

One year later

One year later...

"Are you married, sir?"

"No, I am not," Oliver says calmly.

I squeeze my mom's hand, hoping this question doesn't affect the hearing.

"So you will be raising him on your own? Are you prepared for the task?" The judge asks, looking at Oliver attentively. "He is an adult now, but will you still be able to provide care if he so wishes?"

"With all due respect, he had a falling out with his biological parents a little over a year ago, and I have been looking after him ever since," Oliver informs with ease.

"Oh, so you've already known this young man?" The judge raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, I've known him since he was born."

The judge's lips slightly quirk up.

We're so close.

I glance over at my boyfriend. He hasn't been able to sit still since we've been in the courtroom. I think he's more excited than he is nervous, though. He sits at the defendant's table while Oliver stands among the intimidating but friendly male judge.

Ash turns around, and his eyes immediately connect with mine. I quickly make a dramatic gesture with my hand, telling him to take a deep breath. He easily mimics my actions before breaking out into a soft smile. I blow him a kiss and watch from the distance as a pale pink rises to his face.

Even after a year and a half of dating, he still blushes so easily.

Asher then glances back to the other five people who decided to join us in this important moment. Sawyer gives him a big thumbs up, Vincent smirks, Cecilia winks, Jordan nods his head encouragingly, and for some reason, Hayden is flexing. Ash has to hold in his laughter before turning back to the front of the courtroom.

My mom squeezes my hand from beside me. I look over at her to see her eyes filled with happy tears.

"He deserves this," she whispers with a fond smile.

My mom has always treated Asher like a second son for the past four years, even before we started dating. I can't imagine how emotional this is for her. She's watched Asher grow into a glowing ball of light after all his hardships, and now he is going to have the support of a legal and caring parent. You could say that this is one of the happiest moments of her life.

"—once adopted, this child will have all the same inheritance rights as any child born to you?" the judge asks, his rugged exterior gradually fading away.

"Yes, I understand," Oliver nods.

"Oliver Carson, do you believe it would be in Asher's best interest for you to adopt him?"

Oliver turns and gives Asher a quick wink before facing the judge again.

"Absolutely," he says without missing a beat.