Chapter 13

I have been waiting on the doorstep for about twenty minutes, too afraid to go inside

I already know my parents are outraged and I'm just trying to prolong the inevitable for as long as possible.

I pull out my phone to text Leo, stalling for one last time.

————————————————————————
I'm home

Okay, beautiful, see you at school tomorrow :)
————————————————————————

My heart skips a beat. Leo is the only courage I need to enter the house and finally face my parents.

I take one last deep breath before I open the front door.

The house is eerily silent. That scares me more than anything. I hear footsteps approaching and immediately clench my eyes shut, waiting for impact.

It never comes. Instead, comforting arms wrap around me and I almost cry in relief.

Oliver gently rubs my back before pulling away. I look up at him and there is a sorrowful expression on his face.

My heart immediately drops.

"Your parents are waiting for you in their office," he reveals sadly.

Tears prick the corner of my eyes and I forcefully shake my head. "I-I can't do it, Oliver."

"Hey, hey," he says soothingly and places his hands on my shoulder. "It'll be okay, I promise."

I look deep into his eyes and see that he is being genuine, but there is also a hint of fear.

I eventually nod. He hugs me one last time.

"Meet me in the garden when you are done," he whispers. "You don't have to come right away. Just know I will be there when you are ready."

I nod my head and Oliver pulls away, walking toward the backyard.

I shamefully trudge over to my parent's office. Before I even raise my hand to knock, I hear my father's voice ring from the other side.

"Come in."

Don't freak out.

I enter the office with a fast-beating heart and find my parents seated at the meeting table in the center.

The room is so suffocating that I feel someone's hand wrap around my neck with every step I take toward my parents—each tantalizing step leading to a pit of darkness.

I sit down in the chair across from them and it's still silent. I expected my father to be already yelling at me by now, but his silence scares me even more.

"Where were you?" my father asks in a still tone.

I don't respond.

"Where. Were. You?" He says with a little more threat.