Chapter 28

Perfect timing

Perfect timing.

The bell rings for the start of the lunch period the second I enter the building.

I'm so fucking angry as I march toward the cafeteria.

Some people give me small smiles and waves, but I ignore them. I usually smile and wave back, but as I said, I'm so fucking angry that all I can see is red.

I didn't pay $200 for a plane ticket back to Greenville to be nice.

I don't need to see how badly Asher is hurt. I know how vicious Lucas can be. Plus, I know that if I visit Ash first, he is going to talk me out of what I am about to do.

I'm so fucking done—so fucking done with Lucas's bullshit. I've let him push me around for far too long and I'm livid. He put his hands on Ash and that was a level too far.

I'll be surprised if I don't fucking kill him.

From the distance, I can see most of the usual football guys sitting at the table except for my three best friends. I look toward the lunch line and easily spot them. Good thing they are over there so they can't stop me fast enough.

I stalk towards the table, and I'm thankful nobody notices me until I get there. Lucas's back is to me. Felix's eyes light up when he spots me.

"Leo! Didn't think you'd be back so—"

I harshly grab the back of Lucas's sweatshirt and tug him off the bench and down to the ground. He smacks the back of his head on the cafeteria floor and gasps ring throughout the football table and people nearby.

Lucas looks a little disoriented from the fall, but I don't give him time to react before I pin him to the ground and start throwing punches at his face.

"Don't ever fucking touch him again," I seethe.

I feel like an absolute madman, and I know a crowd is starting to form around us, but I don't give a fuck. Each groan and wince from Lucas below me brings me a step closer to satisfaction.

I can feel the skin splintering off my knuckles and watch as Lucas's face gets bloodier and bloodier by the second. My hand is in aching pain but thinking about my beaten-up boyfriend just causes me to punch Lucas harder.

"Leo, stop!" Rowan shouts and tries to pry me off of Lucas, who is barely conscious and groaning on the floor.

I shove his arms off of me and hammer Lucas's face one more time before I am pulled up by multiple people and unable to break free.

"Let me go," I say harshly. "Lucas needs to know it's never fucking okay to touch him."

I can hear whispers all around me. I know I'm not usually this violent, but it makes me want to cry knowing what my boyfriend has been through.

Every time he starts feeling the tiniest bit better about himself, someone or something has to ruin it. I keep wondering when the world will finally give him a break. He already has way too much going on for him to have to deal with Lucas's bullshit too.