Chapter 23

Leo and I are sitting on the hospital bed, engaged in light conversation

Leo's arm is wrapped around my waist and his thigh is pressed against mine.

I feel like I should be scared about him being this open about our relationship, but after our talk last week, I feel much better. He knows that I don't want to be super touchy in a crowded place or at school, but right now, I feel okay with his arm around me. Even when the doctor comes in, I hope it stays around my waist.

Let's face it. Even though I'm not comfortable letting the world know about us, I still want to show off my boyfriend a little bit.

He's handsome, he's nice, and he's everything I could ever ask for. I still will never understand how I got lucky enough to call Leo Gaines mine.

At first, I was a little hesitant about our relationship, but after the New Years' party, my head is free from all doubts. It's not that I didn't like him or anything. He just had such a big reputation that I was scared he wasn't genuine.

How wrong I was.

I lean further into Leo's warmth as he continues to ramble about football. I absolutely adore him, but when he talks about football, I don't understand a single thing. Even still, just listening to his voice wraps me in a warmth that is unmatched by anyone else.

The doctor finally walks in and cuts off Leo's rambling. This time, though, Leo doesn't move away, only tightens his grip on my waist.

The doctor stands right in front of us. I realize it's the same one from last time.

"Asher King?" she asks, still not looking up from her clipboard.

"Yes?"

"Looks like the plan is to get your casts off today. Has everything been okay?"

"Mhm."

She writes something down on the clipboard before continuing. "Good, good. Let me just get a couple of things prepared for you and you should be good as new. Your skin may be a little dry and irritated after the casts come off, but that's completely normal. Any other questions?"

She finally looks up at us and notices Leo sitting next to me. He hadn't said a word, so she must've thought it was only me in the room.

She then looks at the secure arm that Leo has around me and her lips quirk up.

"Is this the boyfriend?" she asks, mimicking the same exact thing she said the last time I was here.

I giggle, "Yes."

"Ha, I knew it! He wasn't subtle at all," she says excitedly, pointing to Leo.

He chuckles, "Guilty."

"Well, look at you guys," she says fondly. "You're a power couple if I've ever seen one."

"What do you mean?" Leo questions.