Chapter 24

"Capri Suns? Really, Leo?" My mom laughs

I shrug my shoulders and throw the fruit punch-flavored Capri Suns into the shopping cart.

"Aren't you supposed to be some superstar athlete?" she jokes. "I don't think superstar athletes are supposed to drink those."

"Well, this one does."

"Why are you lying to me?" she giggles. "I've never seen you drink a single Capri Sun in your life."

Okay, she may be a little right.

I absolutely fucking despise Caprisuns, but you know what, Ash loves them. He's over at my house a lot of the time anyway, so I might as well go ahead and get them for him.

I can't believe he's my boyfriend. He likes Capri Suns, for god's sake.

"Honey, you're not slick. I know they are for Asher."

I chuckle, "I guess you caught me."

My mom looks at the grocery list and then starts pushing the cart to the chilled section as I follow.

"I think you forget I've known Asher much longer than you have, Mister. His freshman year, the only thing he would bring into the shop is his poetry book and a juice box."

I laugh. That sounds a lot like something he would do.

"You could've just said they were for him," she laughs.

"I know, but I feel like you would get mad at me for being naive and buying so much stuff for him."

She scans all of the strawberries until she finds the perfect box. She puts it in the cart and turns to me.

"Why do you say that?" she questions curiously.

I don't respond.

"Leo, I don't think you realize how much you have impacted Asher's life," she starts. "Listen, as your mother, I am the best at judging the character of all the little high schoolers surrounding you. Something I can assure you is that Asher is genuine. He would never hurt you...well, not on purpose. You have to realize that he does have some issues, but that is perfectly okay because you'll help him out. If he is having a hard time, just let him know that you are there for him. So I don't think you are naive at all," she smiles, "I just think you love him very much, and I wish everybody can find a love like that one day."

I pluck some grapes off the shelf and throw them in the cart as well.

"God, Mom. I just love him so much," I confess.

"I know you do," she giggles. "Every single sentence you say is 'Ash this' and 'Ash that.'"

"Sorry," I mumble with pink cheeks.

"I'm just teasing you, honey. I'm really glad you guys found each other."

"Yeah, me too."

I smile as I think about the precious green-eyed boy who has my whole heart.