Chapter 26

"Guys, I fucked up big time," Sawyer announces as he sprawls out on his bed

"You? Fucking up? Wow, that never happens," Vincent laughs.

"Dude, I'm being serious," Sawyer groans.

"C'mon, buddy. Tell us what happened," I offer.

He huffs, "So you know how I went with Cecilia to that dinner or whatever?"

"Yeah, Soybean. We've all been waiting to see what happened," Hayden rolls his eyes.

"Shut up, I'm getting there," Sawyer retorts. "Anyway, as I was saying, I went with her to the party and everything was fine. After I was not so nervous anymore, we kind of opened up a bit to each other. It was actually really great talking to her, so I asked if she wanted to hang out again."

Hayden gasps, "Deadass?!"

Sawyer nods with a slight tint on his cheeks.

"Well, look at you, man," Vincent praises with a hint of surprise. "Not gonna lie, I had the least amount of faith in you getting a girlfriend."

"Wow, thanks for the support," Sawyer deadpans.

"Wait..." I interject. "Am I missing the part where you fucked up?"

"Right," Sawyer huffs but continues. "So yesterday we hung out again. I feel like Cecilia isn't the type of person to want to go to a sit-down restaurant or anything like that, so I took her to an underground concert. It had a nice vibe and I got to see Cecilia let loose a little, even though I feel like she is already pretty confident in herself," he chuckles. "It was nice, you know. Just being alone with her and enjoying the music. After the concert, I still felt like I had that high. I thought Cecilia did too, but I guess not. Right before we got in the car, I spun her around and kissed her."

Hayden slaps a palm over his mouth, but Sawyer holds a finger up to say let him continue.

"Honestly, it was perfect...at least, I thought it was. She kissed me back, but after a few seconds, she totally freaked out. I tried to calm her down and ask what was wrong, but it almost seemed like she was scared of me or at least getting close to me. I really don't know what happened, and I have apologized numerous times, but she just won't talk to me."

"Damn, dude," Vincent mutters.

"Yeah, I know," Sawyer sighs.

I really feel for my best friend. He doesn't usually show interest in someone, and when he does, I feel like something goes wrong every time. He doesn't deserve that. He has the biggest heart I know, so it surprises me that he gets this unlucky.

Not only that, but I've known Cecilia for a while now and that doesn't seem like something she would do. One of my favorite things about Cecilia is her bluntness. If she didn't like Sawyer, she would've told him straight to his face. Cecilia is also the most confident person I know, so I feel like there's a part of the story that we aren't getting.