Chapter 25

Shit

Shit.

A car almost hit me and I had to swerve into the lane next to me.

"Leo? Are you still there?" I question, but there is no response.

I quickly peek around the car and see my phone lying on the passenger seat floor. It must've gotten knocked down when I turned so sharply.

I quickly reach over and pick it up. I click the power button, but it doesn't turn on.

Of course, it's dead.

I just wanted to hear Leo's voice for a little longer.

Since I have been staying over at Oliver's, it's been hard for me to fall asleep. I was just so used to feeling Leo's warm body pressed against mine when I was sleeping that I can't sleep without him.

Hearing his voice right before bed makes my sleeping problem a tiny bit better, but it's still not the same.

I drive the rest of the way home in complete silence.

After about ten minutes, I walk through the apartment door. I find Oliver still wide awake and sitting on the couch.

"Why are you still up?" I whisper and plop down next to him.

"I had to make sure you got home safely," he smiles and offers me some of the chips from the bowl he is eating. I gladly take some.

"You didn't have to do that," I offer. "I know you're tired with your new job and whatnot."

"It's okay, kid. It's not your job to worry about me. It's my job to worry about and protect you."

I nod my head, still not used to someone loving me as a birth parent should.

"Did you eat?" he asks.

"Sort of," I laugh. "I had popcorn and Gatorade if that counts."

He shakes his head and rolls his eyes. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. Anyways, how was the game?"

"It was really good," I smile. "I may have gotten Leo in a tiny bit of trouble, though."

"Oh no, what did you do?" he laughs.

"I made him get snacks with me when he was supposed to get ready for the game."

"Oh my god," he laughs. "I bet the football coach was pissed."

"Hm...only a little bit," I giggle.

"You two really are attached at the hip. I couldn't be happier for you."

I sigh in contentment before throwing my legs on the couch. I rest my head on Oliver's thigh and face the television. He starts gently patting my back and I feel at complete ease.

Some people may say that I'm too old for this. For me to feel validated by Oliver's touch, but I missed this my whole life. It doesn't matter how old I am. I still missed out on crucial physical touch from my childhood. I was always left seeking little touches of comfort from my mother and father, but they never came. However, Oliver is here now, so everything is okay.