Chapter 12

I wish I could wake up like this every morning

At some point in the middle of the night, Asher shifted on top of me. His head rests on my chest, right over my heartbeat, and his arms wrap around my midriff. It's not the most comfortable position with all his weight resting on top of me, but if he needs my comfort to go to sleep, I will gladly be there for him.

I'm actually kind of sad about this being our last day here. I feel like me and Asher were wrapped up in our own little world and even got closer than we were before.

I thought I was overstepping a line yesterday when I kissed his cheek, but it only seemed to make his face break out in an adorable smile, and my heart literally melted.

God, he's so cute.

I want more than anything to ask him out and just kiss him silly, but I'm scared of making the wrong move too early. I can't lose him. Now that I've known Asher for almost two months, I know how hard it is for him to open up to people. I just don't want him to think I betrayed his trust if I try to jump into a relationship with him too fast.

I sigh and softly start rubbing circles on his back, continuing to stare at the ceiling since I have been wide awake for the past thirty minutes. Ash almost shifts into the touch, even in his sleep, making a sleepy noise before settling back into little snores.

It's crazy to think he can be this peaceful after what happened last night.

I was so scared when I walked out of the bathroom and saw him gasping for air on the bed. I immediately rushed to his side and tried to talk him through it, but it looked like he was stuck in some sort of trance. The moment my hand made contact with his cheek, he jumped away as if I was going to hurt him. I was stunned and hurt at his reaction, but then I thought he must be thinking about someone else.

I thought of Asher's wrist at the King's release party. His father had squeezed it so hard that it left a bruise and I had never seen Asher more scared of anything in his life. He must've been thinking about his father last night.

I was instantly angry when I came to the realization, but I had to put on a brave face for Ash.

When he finally settled down and went to sleep, I sighed in relief. The world can never seem to let this boy take a break, but I can be his break away from the world if he needs me to.

Asher grumbles and shifts on top of me, seeming to finally start waking up. I continue to run a soothing hand up and down his back until he lifts his head to look at me with sleepy eyes.

"Good morning," I whisper with a smile.

It seems to take a second for him to register what is going on, but when he looks down and sees that he is laying on top of me, his cheeks turn a nice rosy red color.

I chuckle, "It's okay, Ash. I don't mind as long as you're comfortable."

Asher shyly nods his head but gently lays it back on my chest.