Grim Winter's Night (Sequal To One Winter's Eve)

The last time Thranduil had been out all night in the snow was a couple hundred years ago. He'd gone out with his young son and sat in the gardens with his to watch the snowfall. Now, it was a different story.

Legolas still loved to watch the first snowfall. He would go out into the woods for the night and come back in the morning. But he hadn't this past day, and so King Thranduil and the guard were searching for Legolas out in the woods.

Thranduil was riding his elk through the trees. He was becoming unnerved. The darkness was spreading. Thranduil was constantly looking out for spiders and Orcs. He was becoming more and more uneasy as he began to hear heavy breathing, but he urged his elk to go faster. He came to a clearing and stopped his elk. There, on the other side of the clearing, was a dead Warg and a wounded Legolas who was lying in the bushes.

"Legolas..." Thranduil murmured.

Thranduil dismounted his elk and ran to his son. Legolas' eyes were half open and his breathing was heavy and laboured. Thranduil saw that his son's bow was laying in the foliage and arrows were scattered behind Legolas from when he fell into the bushes. Without further ado Thranduil knelt to check his son for injuries. There was a large gash on Legolas right bicep, which Thranduil assumed came from the Warg. There was also a large bite mark in Legolas' right calf, just above the ankle. His right boot was missing and the pant leg was torn away.

Thranduil tore some of his cloak and quickly bandaged Legolas' ankle. He picked up his son and carried him over to the elk. He mounted his steed and carried Legolas back to the palace as fast as he could, calling out for his guards to follow him.

~*~

Once Legolas had been treated and bathed, Thranduil put him to bed and left the room. He figured his son would need as much rest as he could get. But as the king went to his own bed, he heard cries from his son's room.

"Ada (Dad)? Ada? Ada!"

Thranduil ran to Legolas' chambers. Legolas was lying in his bed, clutching the blanket and frantically looking around. Thranduil rushed to his son's side. He pulled Legolas up into an embrace and gently held him while the younger elf clung to his father.

"Ada! Oh, Ada. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I shouldn't have run off like that," Legolas rambled.

"Shh. Shh. It's okay, ion-nîn (my son). It's okay, little leaf."

They sat together like that for a while until Legolas fell back asleep. When he had, Thranduil went to his own bed, vowing that he would better protect Legolas from now on. He couldn't have anything like this happen again. Not to his little leaf.

~Thank you