Family Matters

Name: Pheress

Race: Half-Elven

Age: 16 in the eyes of men (100 years younger than Legolas)

Relation to Legolas: Cousin (But close like a sister)

Appearance: Curly blonde pixie cut (because none of the elves know how to care for curly hair lol), blue eyes, shorter than most elves

Scenario: Doesn't really matter, surprise me! Details are that she is very close to Legolas because she was raised alongside him, after her mother died of a broken heart. Thranduil does not like her much because: A) She is half human and B) She reminds him too much of his late sister. She is fully aware of the fact that Thranduil isn't fond of her, but always thought it was something she did. Legolas is always quick to stand up for her.

~*~

Pheress sat outside the palace, high in a tree and away from the dark hollows of the palace's inner walls. The Mirkwood Elves might have found comfort inside, but Pheress was still half Man. She did not want to stay in all the time, even if it was dangerous. The guards were in earshot, and would come to help if something happened. She was fearless in the face of the forest.

Or perhaps she did this simply to spite her Uncle. The Elvenking often could not stand to be around her, yet kept her on a short leash with rules and expectations she felt were just to wear her down. It hardly mattered, she did not need his approval to go outside. Her friends went outside, as long as they stayed close to the palace and tunnels. Not only that, Legolas was allowed to go out on patrols. If he, the Elvenking's own heir, was trusted to venture deep into the pits and traps of the wood, then surely Pheress could climb trees around the perimeter.

"Pheress, you ought to come down."

She looked below her, and standing near the foot of the tree was Legolas. Speak of the devil. Pheress moved down closer, but did not leave the tree.

"Dandúleg, Legolas?" she called down, grinning to see that her cousin had returned from his latest patrol safely. [You returned]

Legolas rolled his eyes and held a hand up to her, which she shied away from; she needed no help getting down, nor did she intend to. Legolas sighed, "Pheress, gin iallon. Come down." [I beg of you]

Pheress scowled, and turned away more. "No, gwador, I will stay in the trees. Your adar has no patience for me today." [Sworn brother; father]

Silence held stiffly for several moments, and then Pheress felt an arm on her shoulder. Legolas had climbed up into the tree with her. The weight of the silence shifted, and Pheress sighed, simply leaning against Legolas as they watched the guards make their rounds. The wood was quiet, as it had been since the darkness crept in. It was an eerie silence, the kind that was only broken in the night by howls and screeches. Pheress was glad Legolas had returned before nightfall. When he was away, she worried, hardly able to sleep at night wondering if he would be okay. She leaned against him more heavily, almost as if she was testing how real he was. Legolas was solid against her, not complaining as she rested against him.

"Did he say something to upset you, gwathel?" Legolas asked, softly. [Sworn sister]

Pheress scoffed, and then sighed, "He does not speak with me, Legolas, you know this." She shook her head, "He speaks to me, and then leaves. Were my naneth not his sister, I doubt he would even let me live here. Still, I do not know what I've done to make him hate me." [Mother]

"He does not hate you," Legolas interjected, quickly, making Pheress blink up at him. He held eye contact, unwavering. "One, I would not let him. Two..." he hesitated, "I think you remind him of your naneth. I can imagine that would be difficult."

Pheress found she could not quite argue that. If Legolas were to die, and she were tasked with caring for his child, she would not be able to look at the child without seeing him in them. Still, she would be far more nurturing than the Elvenking.

"He could at least pay attention. Or else what is even the point? Why not otherwise let me roam free?"

Legolas simply chuckled, "Would you really do well with us both doting on you?"

Shoving him away, Pheress scoffed, "You do not dote, gwador, you bother me." She slipped down out of the tree just as Legolas moved to push her in return. He followed her with ease.

"He cares about you," Legolas continued, as if she had not teased him. "You're his family, I cannot imagine him wanting to hand you off to anyone else. Besides," he grinned, "you have me to keep you company."

Legolas looped an arm over her shoulders, and Pheress could not hold back her smile. Having Legolas for company was not so bad. It was better than the cold shoulder of the Elvenking anyway. She would follow her Uncle's rules, as long as it meant she got to stay here with her cousin.

A/N: This is for @Cgorden, thank you so much for your comment, and your patience, as I know this is coming out a little later than I said it should. 

Also, holy shit, you guys, I haven't written on this in forever but like... 60 chapters? That's great. Thank you so much for all your support!!