I'll Come Home Soon

Legolas ran out to the front of the palace. He couldn't let his father sneak away again. Not this time. When he reached the doors, he saw Thranduil sitting on his Elk at the head of the army. He was preparing to leave. Tears came to Legolas' eyes and the boy ran forward, through the army, to reach his father. When he finally made it, he reached up to grab his father's foot -- the only thing he was able to reach while his father was on the tall Elk.

"Ada!" Legolas sobbed. "Ada, don't leave again! Please! Don't leave me here alone!"

Legolas would not be completely alone, but his only family would be leaving, and he didn't want that.

Thranduil saw his son's distress and immediately dismounted and crouched to his son's level. He took Legolas' two smaller hands in one of his larger ones and wiped the boy's tears away with the other.

"I'll come home soon, Legolas. Like always," Thranduil soothed.

"But I don't want you to go at all!" Legolas sniffed.

Thranduil smoothed his son's shoulder-length golden hair, "I know pen-neth. But I must go. Our allies need us. You will have to do the same someday when you are king." He looked into his son's sad eyes and knew that he wouldn't be able to make it better with his words. "I'm sorry, Legolas. I wouldn't go if I didn't have to."

Legolas averted his eyes and mumbled, "I know. I'm sorry, Ada."

Thranduil kissed his son's forehead, "There is nothing to be sorry for. I love you."

"I love you, too, Ada."

Legolas wrapped his arms around his father's neck. He wouldn't see Thranduil for at least four months, they might at least part well.

~Thank you.