Chapter 42

We went to the hotel and Lando let me drive for some or other reason. I still can't believe my dreams might be coming true!! Of course being an F1 team manager's daughter is incredible as it is, but I want to create my own name. I want people in the pits to see me as the girl who created her own future and not as daddy's little girl.

I know it's asking for a lot when I say that I want people to see me as a female that deserves her place in an F1 team, but it's not impossible...

"I'll just show them that they didn't make a mistake by asking me to join the team." I started the conversation as me and Lando are alone in the car.

"Wait, who said that it was a mistake?" Lando asked. "No one. Yet." I answered.
"Yet?" He asked.
"Yeah, well. We both know that not all the people in F1 will think that I deserve my place on the team. Either because I'm the team principle's daughter and I 'was given the job because of that' or because I'm a female." I responded.
"No one will judge you on any of those occasions." Lando tried to convince me. "Plus I'll stand with you through it, if people are like that. I'll explain that you got the job fare and square." He added.
"How did I get so lucky?" I asked and looked him in the eyes.
"I don't know, but luck isn't going to help us if you don't keep your eyes on the road." Lando said and gestured towards the road in front of us.
"Oh yeah!" I said and fixed my eyes on the road.

About 15 minutes passed and we were almost at the hotel. "Roughly two minutes to go, then we're there." Lando said as he looked at the google maps on his phone.
"Woah, we're that close, huh?" I asked and started searching for the hotel.

"Yeah, looks like it." Lando said and also started searching for the hotel.
"What is the name of the hotel again?" I asked as I was slowing down a bit.
"Hotel Montmeló." He replied.
"Oh, it's right there." I said and made a left hand turn.

"Oh, nice. It's a cute hotel actually" Lando said.
"Right. It's not what I expected, but I kinda like it." I said
"What did you expect?" Lando asked
"I don't know, something more... 'F1 drivers hospitality fancy'." I mocked.
"Oh, I get what you're saying. But we don't always live in those type of hotels, because then more fans know we live there and they will then come and invade the hotel. Plus we like supporting local hotels and we usually ask people on the team who are from that country, to chose where we will be staying. Because chances are they will know where it's best to stay." Lando explained while looking around, admiring the view.

"Makes sense. Just ask me where the F1 team will be staying when we go to South Africa next year!" I said excitedly and a wide smile grew on my face just by thinking of the fact that F1 will be attending my home GP at Kyalami...how wonderful?!?!

"Yeah, chances are we will be asking you. I kinda forgot you weren't British if I'm being honest. Your accent is exactly like mine and you have the same type of humor." Lando explained.
"Yeah, people get confused quite a lot when I tell them that I'm not British. But you know, we get used to it, just like the stupid questions we get asked quite frequently." I answered.
"Questions? Like what type of questions?" Lando asked.
"Oh, there are a lot and I usually answer them sarcastically like 'Do you really ride elephants to school?' Yeah, why else would we have swimming pools there? So that the elephants can drink water while they wait to take us home. 'How do you have Wi-Fi in SA?' We don't, we steal Mozambique's Wi-Fi. 'Do you really have pet lions?' Yeah, how else would we keep the bucks out?" I said

Lando just giggle and I saw a little smirk growing on his face.

"So do you live in huts?" He asked.

I just looked at him and I didn't even bother to answer.
"That's not a no..." he continued.
I tried not to make any facial expressions as I walked away. But a small chuckle came out of my mouth. Knowing Lando heard it, I realised that there are going to be more questions like those coming my way in the future.

"Ughh, let's just get our bags and go to our rooms."
"Yeah, okay." He said as he opened the trunk of the car, taking out a big and a smaller bag.

"I'll take those ones." I said as I pointed at my baby blue bag and my carryons.
"Thank you. I'm strong, but not an octopus. Get it? 'Cause I only have two arms and not eight." He said as a little laugh came out. He clearly thinks he's a comedian.

We started walking to the hotel door and just in front of the doors, I stopped in my tracks and stood still, looking confused towards the door.

"What? What is it?" Lando asked quite concerned.
"I don't know what that is." I said, still keeping a confused look on my face.
"It's a door..." he answered as confused as ever.
"Oh. I didn't know what that was, considering I live in a hut without any doors." I kid with a sarcastic facial expression and body language.

"You little- I actually thought something was wrong." He said and I started giggling. He opened the door for me to walk in and continued by saying "and that's how you open it."

I walked in and thanked him for teaching me how to use it. "No. But like seriously, where do we book in?" I asked.