CHAPTER 2: Me or the mob?

~PAXTON~

After a quick shower, I pack all of my clothes into my backpack and let out a sigh at all the course materials that I have prepared for the Civil Service Exam and police academy expectations. I really wish I can be like every other college kid, being comfortable at parties and just not caring about thinking, but I can't. I have worked too hard to get to where I am at. I can't screw up.

As I was about to step out, I heard the muffled voice of Chrysos still outside. I thought she would have left by now.

"Where are you, Bennet? It's been thirty minutes," Chrysos seethes to the other person on the line.

I wait behind the closed door to give her some privacy. Unfortunately, I can hear every word.

"What? An hour! My mum. She's scared, Bennet. I need to get home," she said.

There is a moment of pause and a few uh huh's.

"What do you suggest?" Chrysos sighs.

"ARE YOU BLOODY MAD?! Are you looking for me to be bloody murdered you, dolt?" she screeches in the thickest English accent.

I didn't know she was English, frankly, I know nothing about her and assumed she was American like her father. But I find her accent very recherché. Definitely more traditional and sharp compared to my common American accent which is sadly overtaking much of the world's linguistics. 

"I can't believe you, Bennet. *pause*  Yes, I know. I apologize for my outburst, but how do you expect me to get home without being attacked by Yankees and mobsters?" she asks.

"Figure it out in the meantime? Or wait? Brilliant. Bravo, you sop. Mother's gonna kill you, you know? Yes, yes. Goodbye, Bennet. Let's hope you keep your head and your job. For all our sakes," she sighs.

I wait five minutes to give her breathing space. Oh, no. What is this tingling feeling in my chest? NO, feet, don't you dare. No, no, no. Without restraint, I push through the door and all wit abandons me.

"I can escort you home," I offer from behind her and she jumps in surprise, but relaxes when she sees that it is just me.

"What? No, it's fine. I'll just stay here or find some other way," she stubbornly objects.

"Oh, yeah. But what if I want to leave now? Yeah, I kinda am not allowed to even be here for this long. What then? Get yer prissy angels and swole boys to pick ya up in thar Lambos?" I mocked.

"How dare you! I don't need your mockery. No one else is coming for me thanks to my stupid father's conviction because their so scared of their reputations. And we English don't even act like that. You repulsive American," she huffs.

"Chill. I ain't a monster. But seriously. I don't think it's safe for you to go out into the hood with your sprained ankle and a target on your face. I'm just trying to be realistic. And the reality is, ya need me Chrys," I grin, leaning my elbow on the wall just above her head.

She hops on her good ankle and gets into my face. Oh, no. I cower backward, but she hops a step forward each time. I should shove her, but she's injured, that's unfair. But, my...

BANG! My head hit a wall and she slams her arm on top of my collarbone, trapping me from moving.

"I am a very powerful woman and I take no disrespect from anyone. Not even you American," she whispers in my ear.

Screw my anxiety. She is a powerful woman, I give her that, but her strength and beauty ain't the only things that will get me to back down. Frick, I did not just think that.