CHAPTER 29: Prepare Yourselves

~PAXTON~

Have you ever felt so alone that you begin to dig deep into your hippocampus just to hold onto the memories and envision yourself with the person you most desire? You imagine their laughter, that golden smile reserved just for you. And those eyes. The Eyes of the Sun. The first thing you see when you wake up and the ones I live to look forward to every day. I feel its degrees melting me moreover than maple syrup. I fall soft and she consumes my mind. It's only been a few days away from Chrysos, but the guilt of letting her go for that split second has me reeling in sadness, desperation, loneliness, and guilt. I have refused to eat despite my Gramma and mom's attempts. When Precious and Prince want to play with me, I close my eyes and just let them play. Call me pathetic or depressed, but I'm sorry. No matter the dish or the company, I can not feel filled. I am missing my other half. I have no energy, barely any strength to stand, and any hope, courage, and prayers have been superseded by desolation for the past few hours. It has exhausted me.

For now, I am hanging on tightly to the memories and the spindled threads on my wrist. Peace and gold. You and me. I'm not going to give up on you, there is so much more for us to learn and write in our story. This is not the end, this is not our eulogy.

"PAXTON! Asher, I got you just trust me." 

"Slow down or you'll... sorry sir, she's in a rush. Nicola!"

I wipe my face of the tears that managed to roll down and prepare myself for Nicky's announcements. Nicky rams through the door with Asher in a wheelchair. His face is lit up in exhilaration as if he fell down Kingda Ka. Joy is trailing behind Nicky and looks about ready to smack the soldier silly.

"Attention, Guardians. That's right, I named us. Now, I know we all have been stressed beyond gray hairs, beaten shmultz that the floor is like our new home, and left frustrated without guidance. Well, so what? That's f*cking life. Life sucks like muck. People are muck. But, we ain't muck and neither is Chrysos. She's alive! You heard me, she is alive," Nicky announces and Asher and I gasp.

Possible, Believable, REAL!

"I can agree, but continue baby angel," Joy affirms.

"After our successful interview with Shard and searching his phone, we have come across a hint to the whereabouts of our beloved friend. Joy, you talk and don't slow down," Nicky passes the baton.

"On the eve of April twenty-fifth, the anonymous kingpin we know as King sends an invitation to all high-ranked members of his elite forces to announce the bounty upon Miss. Chrysos Beaumont. Reward lists immediate promotional status among the inner circle if Miss. Beaumont is brought alive. Take note of the word ALIVE. The location to be brought are coordinates in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean," Joy begins, taking the most masterful short breaths in between not wasting any beats.

"The most recent message in regards to Miss. Beaumont's condition is primarily unknown, but we do have a motive. It is rather obscene, so please hold your buckles, retract your fangs, cotton your fists, oh and please don't kill me," Joy warns and I hold my galloping heart.

"Miss. Beaumont is going to be married. To the King," Joy squeaks out.

Asher and I both leap to our feet, mentally screaming bloody murder. Nicky bear hugs Joy who clutches her shoulder in absolute terror. I need to punch something or I swear someone in this room will not be going home. The pain we had before is now extinct. I only feel the bloodlust. That's my girlfriend! He's taken my girlfriend and now he wants to make her his, against her will. I can't. I can't. She's my love, keeper of my heart, the Sun that gave me light to live. SHE IS MINE!

"I WILL KILL HIM! I WILL SKIN HIM! I WILL BURN HIM! I WILL FLOG HIM! I WILL GORE HIM! I WILL MAIM HIM! LET ME GO!" I squirm and jerk violently as Joy, Nicky and Asher pin me to my bed. They secure me with restraints and safety straps.