CHAPTER 18: Go Home

~PAXTON~

Kissesss. So many kisses. Spades jumps all over me as I wrestle him about the floor. I'm gonna miss this spunky fella.

"Paxton, get off the floor and help us with the bags," Chrysos calls out to me from the front driveway.

"LOL. I think your mama is jealous of you. Cuz who gives the best kisses? You do. Who's a handsome boy? You are! Yes, you are," I scratch behind his ear and pat his chest as he bounces on top of me one last time.

"I HEARD THAT!" Chrysos startles me and I fall flat on my butt with Spades taking the opportunity to leap on my chest.

"Ooomph. Hiiiii, Chrysos. Sunny day, isn't it? I mean cuz you're standing in front of it," I smirk and she plops her arms to her side and storms inside for the rest of the bags. The sun beams smack me in the face as punishment and I just roll around with Spades in laughter.

After a few more minutes of horseplay, I pick myself up and let Spades trot by my side. I help Bennet and Chrys retrieve the rest of our luggage.

"Paxton. Where's Nicky?" Chrysos questions and I have no idea. I swear she was just here a minute ago.

"Find her. Seek," I send Spades ahead of me as he sniffs out Nicky's scent.

That's odd. Nicky's always punctual. It's like wired in her to have her hair in a bun and ready at attention for whatever we got going on in the day. It's really impressive, but very scary. Spades leads me to the back gardens and I call out Nicky's name.

WOOF! Spades volleys over a hedge and I hear a body hit the floor.

"PUMPKINS! Spades, no. Nein. Nein," Nicky commands, and Spades heels at her foot.

"You alright?" I grab her upper arm and hoist her up.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go," Nicky tries to sidestep me, but I stop her.

"HALT!" She stands stiff. "About face!" She pivots and turns to face me.

"Come on. What's up with the roses and sudden mood?" I gesture to the scattered bits of rose petals.

Nicky begins scratching her arms and blushing as red as the petals on the ground.

"Oh my god! You're smitten! Was it Guinevere?" I realize and Nicky smacks a hand on my mouth, "Shut up!"

"Why are you suddenly so shy? You're in love, bestie," I point out and she pushes her hands against her temples, "No!"

"Yes."

"NO! Besides, I told you I don't do long distances," she objects.

"Nicky, Nicky. Do you feel as if your chest is convulsing and aching right now?" I ask and she nods.

"Is your heartbeat thundering to the speeds of Timber?" I reach out for her hand and place it on her heart.

"She also just leaves me so confused. I mean it's like I can't get her out of my head and the feeling of her lips is still there and I'm so scared it will disappear because it's so soft and I can still taste the strawberry macaron. Our time was too short," Nicky zones out in the dream and I am trying so hard not to interrupt with laughter.

"Hehehehe. Congratulations. You like-like her," I smirk.

"Wait! No. We didn't do anything like that. It was an accident. She french kissed me and I tried to return it, but then I think I caught her off guard and ended up hitting her lips. Then, it got deeper and I didn't want to pull back. Oh, man," Nicky panics and I pat her shoulder, "Chill. It's clear the kiss means something to you. She means something to you. You wanna see her again?"