CHAPTER 37: Fight For Gold

TW: Gun Violence and Stunts.

~PAXTON~

It pained me to let go of her last night, seeing the bars, and the visible lack of nourishment. Even though she looks so frail and afraid, she's alive, and being able to talk with her and hold her is an act I will always cherish and hope we can do forever. I have much more energy to go into a war just to see her smile like that for me again. The Guardians are at the London International Airport in Sergeant Longhunt's chopper which serves as our armory and strategic post. I fasten my bulletproof vest and armor, test Ferrum's electric settings, and fold and refold Vis. While Sergeant Longhunt and Patty maneuver the aircraft, the rest of us are in the back monitoring the situation and communicating our courses of action.

"Paxton, they're moving me now. I'm scared," Chrysos whispers in the earpiece that I gave her last night.

"I know, love. It's okay to be scared, but we are coming for you. Do you hear that? I am in a Black Hawk helicopter with Nicky, Corporal Joy, Private Patty, Sergeant Thomas, and Officer Kyle. We are coming to get you and the military will take away all those bad people. I will take you away from all the bad people. I love you," I reply.

"I love you too, Paxty," she says.

"Alpha, we are nearing the landing zone. It's a field about a mile away between the church and the mansion," Sergeant Thomas calls out to me.

"Roger, Operation House of Cards will exit first. Clear off any hostiles and remember your targets. Operation Stakes will follow me," I command to all of them.

"Hooah," they affirm.

After a few more minutes of flight, Sergeant Longhunt lands the plane expertly on the field. The owner of the area comes to greet us as we had met prior to ask for her permission. She guides us to the roadways that lead in both directions to the cathedral and to the Beaumont mansion.

"We will meet you guys at the cathedral, once we clear the house," Nicky said, taking Joy and Kyle with her.

"Yeah, be safe. All of you," I said.

"We are going home. Everyone will be going home," Nicky salutes us and we salute back.

~~~~

After a ten-minute run to the cathedral, my team and I blend into the brush and watch as guests and security for the event roam around. From what Asher has told me, the ceremony starts at ten. It's still nine twenty. There are two points of entry. One in the front for all guests and patrons. And the one in the back where King, his associates, and the priest they have taken hostage will enter. However, there are four other points of exit. Two emergency exits on the sides of the building and two emergency exits in the front of the building. But where we are going, we don't use doors. I signal my team to follow me and out of the line of sight of the main entrance, we come across the only spot with a single personnel.

"Hey!" he calls out to us, pulling his firearm, but Sergeant Thomas steps in and disarms the dude. I gag him and tie him up. Patty puts a mild sedative on him and he should be out for at least a few hours.

"Alright, everyone up," Sergeant Thomas gets on bended knees and cups his hands to boost us onto the fire escape. Stealthily, Patty picks the lock to the priest's private quarters and we all pile into his office.

"What was that?" a muffled voice from outside rushes in and we freeze as he points his gun at us. His hand shakes and from the looks of it, he's a stake. He fumbles with the gun until he clocks and loads it.

"Drop the gun, kid. You don't want to shoot that," Sergeant Thomas speaks calmly to him.

"Shut up! Don't tell me what I can and can't do. You drop your weapons! I can do any–" he shouts, but we all stay still as a man in an iron mask rams a sniper gun to the back of the boy's head. He stalks towards us, fists gripped on his weapon.