CHAPTER 15: Monumental Day

~CHRYSOS~

I really love you. My eyes shoot wide open, but that was a terrible mistake. I am instantly hit with a wave of nausea and my head is absolutely beaten. Did I run into a pole? And what strange words linger in my ears like a dulcet melody? I must be delusional. The last thing I remember was the toast. Nicky and I were drinking our hearts out. Oh, shoot. That must be it. Perfect, I'm hungover. I should probably ask Paxton what happened after. I throw off the covers and realize I'm in my room and still wearing my clothes from yesterday. I head to the bathroom to shower and make myself look presentable. Today, the girls and I are going to London to do some sightseeing. I put on a casual azalea red blouse over jean shorts with converse sneakers and head downstairs for breakfast. Stephen is busy texting on his phone, Nicky is snoozing to the side of her bowl of cantaloupe and Bennet is eating his buttered toast. However, my attention is on the absence of Paxton. She's never late. I'm the one who is always a terrible morning person. Oh, no. She might be sick. Maybe I should go check on her. I turn around to head back upstairs, but collide directly into her, accidentally stepping on her foot.

"Aijk," she winces, gripping my upper arms.

"Oh my gosh. I am so sorry," I apologize, but she quickly shoves it off, "It's fine."

She briskly walks past me, pulling her light blue hoodie all the way up and tying it by the strings. What's up with her? I'm supposed to be the morning lemon and she's usually my morning sun.

"Chrysos, you should really watch where you're going. It's bad enough that you were drunk and passed out. At least walk straight like a proper lady," Stephen chides and I roll my eyes. I swear that man makes me want to hurdle my fist to his face, but then other times he can be so gracious to the small things like planning a ball for me or tending my garden. It's confusing.

"Hey! Don't scorn her misery. She's capable of having fun like any belle without being chastised by your ill-breath," Paxton throws in my defense.

"What did you just call me?" Stephen throws back his chair and stands up in height.

"Are you deaf as well as sacrilegious? By golly, my tongue doth speak to a wisp o' a shrew," Paxton throws her hands in the air before setting her chin on the table.

Woah, what is happening?

"Are you drunk as well?" he crosses his arms.

"I might as well be, then I wouldn't be able to listen to you. An infection to all ears, you are. Even to the dog," she grumbles, pointing to Spade who is in fact itching his ear.

Like a bear he pounces over Paxton who doesn't move and stares tiredly up at him.

"I don't know what is wrong with you, American. But insulting people like me can get you..." he wags his finger, but she curls it back into his palm, "What? Killed? Go ahead. I'd rather die and be welcomed in heaven than spend another moment going through hell with you."

This time I interject, afraid they'll actually bash each other's skulls.

"That's enough. Both of you. Sit down Stephen and calm your temper. You have to go to work in a few minutes. Paxton, come."

Without waiting for their replies, I barrel through to the library. I can hear Paxton's soft footsteps following close behind. When she passes by me, I slam the door causing her to jump a few inches.

"Paxton, what is going on with you? Do you have a death wish?" I lash at her and to my shock, she nods.

"WHAT? Why?" I yell.

She marches around the room, scuffing the heel of her foot against the marble floor.

"I can't think straight! Alright? I am so conflicted and displaced, it's like there are two repelling forces acting inside of me. Each of them trying to seize control, but none of them won. He interrupted everything by being a dastard. When he disrespected you, I lost it. I'm sorry," she confesses, sinking to the ground.