CHAPTER 39: Eulogy

~CHRYSOS~

"It's difficult to describe someone in just a few words. Even if I was an author, a book would not be able to fill the pages of history a person had. But, I never could have foreseen myself providing the eulogy for three people in one day. It's even more difficult because in my short span with them, they were my family. They welcomed me into their home when I was just five years old. Despite the dysfunctionality of it all, I learned so much from them and I loved them at one point. John helped provide me with the best education in England where I excelled in my academics and pursuits. Sceptra always taught me how to be elegant and proper and I thank her for teaching me the traditions of her ancestors. But, Stephen was different. He never molded me into being someone that I was not meant to be. As a big brother, he treated me equally and had no care if I got my dress dirty or rode a horse instead of balancing books on my head. As we grew up, it saddens me that the distance couldn't bring us back together, but now in my heart, I am grateful for you being by my side and having the laughs and memories we have shared. Rest in peace, the final blood of the Morris family," I fold the letter in my hand and throw roses on each casket.

It didn't have to be this way. You brought this upon yourselves, John and Sceptra. Your lineage could have survived. We could have been together and lived in peace, but you chose this. And I will never forgive you.

"Eulogies for three. I am truly sorry Miss. Beaumont. Would you like assistance on..." Bennet asks and I hold up my hand at him, "I won't be writing another."

"Um..." he stutters.

"No! Silence! You will not lose hope, that's an order. Just don't," I dismiss him and he walks inside the Beaumont mansion knowing that I am not in the mood for further conversation. 

"Chrysos?" Nicky taps my shoulder as she wheeled herself to me.

After her hours of surgery, she is wheel-bound until she can make a full and proper recovery. I was livid at her for trying to follow me to the funeral, but her persistence to be at my side gave me relief and if it means I have another friend with me during this dismal period, I accept. Of course, she is being closely monitored so that she doesn't strain herself. 

"Has everything been finished?" I ask her.

"The horses have been donated to the lady at the farm and to the riding club at your old school. Spades is angry at me," she updates me and dangles a chewing rope that was hidden behind her back.

I laugh lightly at her antics, "He's not the only one."

"NICOLA! GET YOUR CRAZY CHILD!" Joy hollers in fear and anger as Spades tries to jump on her shoulders. He yaps at her in annoyance for her to return his toy.

"Oh frick, gotta go," Nicky pales at the full name and quickly leaves before she gets beheaded.

Nicky wheels after the dog and the girl, whistling and laughing in jubilee. Joy bops Nicky on the head making gestures with her hands. Nicky pouts, signing back and Joy's anger dissipates into a simmer. Joy rolls her eyes and wheels them around the estate on a whirlwind rollercoaster ride with Spades running after them. Joy, whom I have met just shortly, is a wonderful woman. Strong, selfless, and compassionate. She didn't even know me, yet flew all the way from America to rescue me. All of the Guardians did and I am indebted to their service. I watch the three of them wrestle and give them their moment together. They deserve it and if they are happy, I don't want to take that away from them. 

I calmly stroll to the back gardens passing by the fresh plethora of flowers, herbs, and trees that have aged in good health and strength over the years. They rustle and sway in the wind, craning against the wind's warm breath. Every leaf I graze with my hand sends calm, tingling sensations that give me a refreshing drink of comfort. After a few quick glances behind me and no longer in earshot, I fall into the Earth and cry. With the blanket of greens as my comfort, I pretend that I am not alone. I am okay. At least I will be. Like the trees that tower above me, I need to stay strong, reach for the sun, and keep my roots grounded. I may have been through a hurricane, but it has only shaken my leaves. I have been stripped bare, but I don't want to lose anymore. I can't lose anymore. I had nothing to begin with and I worked my entire life to make something new. If I want to keep growing and keep a firm foundation, I cannot give up hope. She fought for me, now I must fight for her. I cannot raise my fist or shoot a gun. But I have to work harder than ever to save her life. 

I sit in my garden for an hour, meditating in silence and feeling my saplings cleanse me in fragrance and herbal essence. I wipe the tears with the back of my arm and instruct everyone to return to the car.

~~~~~~~

~DILITIRÍO~

"Hahahaha, that was such a touching funeral. They are incredibly stupid. If only they knew..."

I shoot my arm at his esophagus and before he can reflexively react, I grab him by the neck and squeeze. My nails sharpened and licked with a tinge of liquid mercury, seep into his skin. It's not enough to kill but imagine the pain of a seizure being held for hours. His body is the first to convulse and contort in unnatural positions. Like twine, it wiggles and stiffens, but does not snap. It would be relief if it would all snap and seize. He begs for mercy, arms flailing in uncoordinated attempts to land on my arm.

"Ackkhkkkkkk. I'm s—rorrry. Dilitírio! Pleaseee," Melee pleads.

"All of the Morris are dead! They were weak and pathetically driven to obsessiveness over a useless woman. I am Dilitírio. Always will be. And tell me. WHO AM I?" I bite in his face.

"dlrrrrt," he slurs, choking on the pooling saliva foaming in his mouth.

"SAY IT!" I bellow, slamming him facefirst into the ground.

"Dilitírio! The King of the Savage Serpent Tribe," he gasps, clawing at my arm.

"Pathetic. Send him to the camp and condition him properly. And you are hereby stripped of your name and title. Maximus with me," I drop him to the ground as two stakes take him away.

"NO! Wait! I can prove myself! You know me! I am worthy!" he shouts. No one is worthy if they do not even righteously acknowledge their own King.

Maximus ushers me into the jet and we land at headquarters. The portcullis is lifted for me as the footmen click their heels and bow to me. I walk through my castle's grounds and cross my eyes and strut with my head held high and arms on the seams of my pants. Once inside, I open the door to my chambers as the maidens flock me with whispers and tuts. I spread myself and let them dress me in royal satins and sashes. Quickly, I walk the halls with Maximus by my side.

"I still do not forgive you for your treasonous acts against me. You could have let my assassins kill her, but you disobeyed me and went to the King," I fix my buttons and hinge my firearm at my side.

"It was of strategic importance to you. Distracted the King with the girl, let the military kill King, and let you ascend. She was just a piece of a game. Your subjects would have gotten suspicious and rebellious if they had ever known. But, now they are wrathful against the government, not you," Maximus says with intelligence.

"I have been by your side since your birth. Your mother entrusted me not only as your godfather but your servant. Your commands are always mine to receive," he bows and I place my hand upon his cheek.

"Come, Maximus. Let us rule the world," I hold my fist a few inches from my side and the guards open the heavy wooden doors.

Dilitírio! Dilitírio! Dilitírio! Dilitírio! Dilitírio! 

My Serpent brethren chant my name as I walk through the throne room and toward my rightful abode. Only one has sat upon this jewel-sculpted masterpiece. Made with the spoils of the enemies he defeated. I will add to this with my own trophies one day, but mine will be rare. I will mold and sculpt mine out of the spines of my enemies. Let my reign begin.

"The Old King is Dead! Bow to your Emporer! Dilitírio the Heaven's Bane!" Maximus commands and I approve of the epithet. Reaper places the golden crown on my head as everyone bows and chants my name.

ALL HAIL Dilitírio!To Darkness do we rise! To Death do we feed! To Destruction do we triumph! Serpents Rule the World, Not God! ALL HAIL Dilitírio!

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

A/N: After Summerguard is done, it will be undergoing major editing so I can try and go for different contests like the Wattys or the LGBTQ+ awards. Thank you all for reading and sticking with me throughout this journey.