CHAPTER 27: Awake

~NICOLE~

I feel better. Not all the way good, but better. I open my eyes and see the window blinds halfway open and the sun beaming in. I lightly hum and use my hand to massage my throat. Throat, check. I lift my shirt and see where I was operated on. Ribs, check. I look at the chair and my smile drops when I see that it is empty. I search for a note or anything, but nothing. I knew it was too good to be true. Just like Gwen, I scared her off. I'm not even a scary person. Well, I wasn't until now I guess. I clutch my throat and feel the rough imperfections.

"No way! Nuh, uh. Sir, I am not letting you in. Where have you been these last few days?" It can't be. Was she really not a dream?

"Miss. Officer. I am Bennet, Miss. Beaumont's butler. I couldn't be at present the last few days because the police have been keeping me up nonstop with their badgering. They suspect the butler, just because they play too much Clue. I'm a friend of Miss. Nicky," I hear Bennet outside and yes, thank god he is alive. With a little too much excitement, I throw the blanket off my body and jump out of bed. But I learn too late that when someone has been in bed for more than forty-eight hours, legs act more like stilettos being worn by a kindergartener.

"Oh, no," I squeak and use my inertia to land on my back instead of my face. THUD! Oomph.

"OH, GOD!" I hear Joy and Bennet cry out at once and the door is flung wide open.

"NICKY! Oh, can you hear me? Please, be okay. Aghhh, I shouldn't have left you. Come on. Wake up! Wake up!" Joy calls to me and she uses every possible method to get me conscious including slapping my cheeks, shaking me, and oh no she better not...

"Yeah, I'm fine. Now, can you calm down, like just a bit?" I shake my head and she nods, helping me to my feet. 

When I get a good footing, I see Bennet, alive and breathing. His hair is matted and his suit looks anxiously crinkled, but he's here! I hobble over to him with Joy's help and give him a massive hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay. You're here," I said, looking him up and down.

"Yes, I can't believe it myself. They wouldn't let me out of custody. I gave them all I could and was at home the entire time collecting Miss. Beaumont's essentials. If it weren't for Jonah's testimony, I would be behind bars. It was terrible. Jail is a frightening, cruel place," he recalls his experience. I squeeze him even tighter and we hold each other for a good minute.

I gesture to Joy that I will sit back on the bed and when I sit down, I begin shaking my limbs to get them re-energized. Bennet sits in the chair next to me and Joy is... attempting to lean on the wall. I roll my eyes and pat the space beside me. She lights up and sits.

"Any news on the others?" Bennet asks and I look up at Joy.

"They are out of the ER and are in stable condition. Both families are here," Joy informs and I let out a sigh. That's really great news.

"Can we see them?" I ask.

"I don't know. You can barely walk. Are you even allowed out of bed?" Joy says worriedly.

"I'm fine. Please," I pout. She bites her lip and looks slightly up, "Fine. Okay. But if you feel woozy or something, promise me you will say something. I don't want you lying to me about your pain, baby angel."

I sign, 'Promise'. She lets out an adorable huff before taking my arm and wrapping it around her neck. We hobble to the reception desk.

"Hi, Paxton Iustus and Asher Ming," I tell the lady at the desk.

"Are you family or spouse?" she asks, multitasking in typing on her computer and scribbling stuff on a file.

"Uh..."