CHAPTER 34: She's A Nightmare (Part I)

~ASHER~

It's been twelve days of hell. Poor Chrysos is bouldering mad at the King who is not how I expected him to be. He is just a normal dude on the inside who isn't fully evil or fully good. He loves his riches more than anything but isn't a completely deranged serial killer unless he loses his patience, then I or someone nearby takes the fault. And although he fancies Chrysos, he doesn't care about her. He lets her do her own things and is just waiting for the day they.... I don't want to think about that. I escort Chrysos everywhere from her dates with King to her dress fittings, her walks in the gardens, or just to chat with her when she's feeling sad. I try to be there for her as much as I can, but even I have my limits. I switch with another guard I don't know the name of and they take the night shift while I take the mornings.

However, there is more. Just because I am basically stuck at Chrysos' hip, as long as I lock her door, I can roam around the estate and am tasked with helping everyone else either train or plan the wedding. Most times, I don't interact much and I can listen in on the conversations between everyone else. But, that all ended when someone noticed me.

~A FEW DAYS AGO~

I am eating outside in the gardens where Chrysos and I commonly hang out, away from the prying eyes of the SS Tribe members. This is also one of the few places that gives me a place to breathe and relax away from all of the chaos. While I am eating a sandwich underneath a tree, watching the sun go down, a knock startles me and I grab Shard's mask and tie it in place.

"Shard, was it? Fancy finding you here. And I thought you would be playing with the bride at this hour," a woman with black jeans, a tank top, and an iron staff in her hand. She has midnight black hair in a braid and her narrow brown eyes flash mischievously at me.

"Not my type," I said simply. Who is she? She doesn't have the SS Tribe tattoo. Even I have a temporary one on my back, just like the real Shard does.

"I see. And you noticed," she pointed at her shoulder and I look away. Fortunately, she can't see my face.

"I'm not a goon. I'm a guest. My father was invited and made me tag along. He's the leader of the Foreign Fighters. We aren't like you guys. Not doped on whatever substances you guys traffic," she said.

Foreign Fighters... I recall they are ruthless martial artists and trained assassins. Some go on to serve in their regime's military while others look for the thrill of the bounties. She is bold to admit such a claim. If I was in my other uniform, I doubt she would be so eager to tell me this.

"Have you come here to commit treason to our King and his empire?" I expertly recite dauntingly.

"No. I am bored. And the only one walking straight is you and two other lads. The other two seem to be all hush baba, so I figured I'd bother you," she said, balancing her rod on the back of her hand.

I noticed that too. Dilitírio is here and he and Maximus have been all buddy-buddy with one another. I have been trying to eavesdrop on what they are planning, but their meetings have been extremely confidential. Not even the gossip can help me.

Great, exactly what I need. Some strange woman to bother me. I don't need this right now. I get off the grass and begin walking back, but a hard whack on my arse spins me around.

"Hey!" I yell at her and she snickers. "Come on, spar with me." Nope, just ignore her and go back inside. She isn't worth the energy and I can't risk her finding out my identity. I shake my head and begin walking again. "Come on!"

She kicks the back of my leg and I fall to the floor. I sweep my feet and land back up, perfectly. Her staff comes for my head, but I spin and kick. It goes flying into the flower beds. In America, Taekwondo and Karate are the dominant martial arts. However, my father sent me to China throughout most of my childhood summers to study Kung Fu and have a private education. She gets into a classic karate fighting stance, feet grounded and fists raised to her eyes. I dodge her attacks and wait for her to tire.