CHAPTER 8: Busted

~PAXTON~

Brush, brush. Stroke, stroke. My eyelids begin to flutter open and I rub them to adjust to the sunlight that is beaming from the windows. When I look over to my side, Chrysos is smiling blazingly up at me, snuggled into the crook of my neck, and twirling with the beads in my hair. Our faces are barely inches apart and I can smell her fragrance of lavender. Inside, I have an exhilarating urge to pull her up to me and close the distance with my lips to hers. But I fight it by closing my eyes and letting my rationality stop me before I did something as stupid as that. Paxton, what is wrong with you? Any other person, it'd be fine and I would totally go for it. But these thoughts are wrong. She's my boss and I can't jeopardize the level of trust we have established by making things awkward and overstepping my bounds. I will be fired and she will loathe and ruin me.

"Good morning," she chirps.

"H-hii," I croak dryly. Frick, did I lose my voice? Or maybe it's cuz I just woke up? Or I'm nervous? Gahhhhh.

Chrysos lets out little giggles and pats my throat, "Save your voice. Gerard already told me everything that happened. Today we rest." She stretches herself out, accidentally whacked my face, and begins dragging me by an arm out of bed. She manages to get the upper half of my body out, but she gives up and I am left dangling upside down, the duvet tangled around my legs.

"I don't want to get out of bed! It was so comfy," I whine, untangling the sheets.

"Shut up, you big baby. It is almost noon and it's my bed. My rules. So get out and go back to your room. I want to change and eat lunch. Almost getting killed has made me realize that I am hungry and every meal may be my last," she scolds, rummaging through her closet.

"You're adorable. Always cranky in the morning. Like a grandmother, darling," I joke in my best English accent and she throws a hairbrush at my head. My reflex caught it easily but I slam her door behind me when she raises a curling iron. I hear her frustrated hmph, "I liked it better when you were asleep!"

I chuckle loudly and quickly freshen up in my bathroom. But when I step out into the kitchen, I freeze in place, my face paling when I see two people smirking at me with suggestive looks. How long have they been there?

"So... I see your night went well," Asher props his head on his elbow and wiggles his brows, while Nicky is holding her arm to her mouth trying not to explode into a fit of laughter.

I snap out of my trance and quickly deny any obscene thoughts they probably have. "Woah. Woahhhh. WOAH! Nu-uh! Nothing happened. Nothing is going on!!" I whisper vehemently.

Asher sips the cup of green tea in his hand and raises his brows, "So we didn't just witness you being thrown out of Miss. Beaumont's bedroom? I didn't know that you were that bad in bed."

"Hehehehe," Nicole snickers, and they both look at me for an answer.

"Shut up. Both of you! Nothing happened. It was just one time because of what happened yesterday. She was scared and I stayed with her," I said with finality, but of course, they are unsatisfied, "So you didn't get in bed with her?"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I yell at them as they burst into laughter and Nicky slides Asher twenty bucks. "SERIOUSLY I'MA KILL YOU GUYS!" I pounce on Asher's shoulders and begin whacking him on the back while Nicky spins us around and chases us throughout the living room. Somehow we end up in a pile laughing our heads off and tumbling about the floor.

"Pile up without me? How dare!" Chrysos cries from the top floor, runs down the stairs, and jumps on top of me. I let out an oof and spit out her hair from my mouth.