CHAPTER 6: Beaumont Pitch

TW: Threats against minors and drug overdose

~PAXTON~

Today is the Beaumont Pitch Competition. The day before, I introduced Nicole to Chrys. Nicole was very excited and couldn't stop rambling about how she loved Chrys' accent, her company mission, and so many things that made my head spin. Chrys took it extremely well and didn't seem to mind Nicole's spunky charisma. A few hours before, my team and I reviewed our placements and strategies. Gerard and his security are stationed in the back of Trinity Hall in visible uniforms and security jackets. Asher, Nicole, and I are in the front in formal attire. Asher is seated in the front row wearing a royal navy blue suit, over a white collared shirt, black tie, and black dress pants and shoes. Nicole is standing near the podium as an attendant wearing a black suit jacket over a white shirt with gray pants. I will be sitting on the stage 'taking notes'. I am wearing an all-periwinkle purple tuxedo and pants with a white shirt tucked in.

"Are you nervous?" I ask Chrys as she silently mouths her speaking notes.

All the guests are still filing in and taking their seats as we have less than ten minutes to the start.

"Of course, but I am really thrilled to have this event, especially for these amazing young ones," she beams.

"It's going to be great and everyone is going to have a great time, thanks to you. You are making a massive difference for them."

"Thank you, Paxty. It's why I do this. Inspire the ambitious and intelligent futures," she said proudly.

"You do. I wish you luck. I am right by your side. And um totally off-topic, but you look heavenly. You are magnificent," I profess because even when we were at home changing for the event, I was rendered speechless when she came out of her room in her pine green, floor-length, evening gown.

"Awww, stop. You look lovely as well. I trust you to keep me safe and will always know you're right by my side," she gives me a tender hug before I take my seat and lock my defenses.

"All ears check?" Gerard speaks into his mic which my team have in their earpieces.

"Alpha, copy. This is Delta. Over," Asher responds.

"Howdy, Alpha. This is Echo. Over."

"Yes, sir. This is Brava. Watch each other's back. Over," I said subtly.

"We are all going home tonight, family. Over," Nicole adds.

We silently agree as the lights fix on Chrys and she taps the microphone.

"Good evening, everyone. Welcome to the third annual Beaumont Pitch Ceremony. Tonight you will hear from ten finalists out of more than a thousand applicants from all over the globe. They will be telling us about their invention or idea to a group of our sharks here," Chrys begins.

Three business executives wave to the crowd. They are the Sharks.

"They will have five minutes to give their pitch and five minutes are reserved for questions. After the pitches, we will have an intermission in our banquet hall to allow our judges to convene on their decisions. Without further ado, all the way from India, please welcome Miss. Patel," Chrys steps off the stage and takes a seat beside me.

I pass her a bottle of water and give her a subtle thumbs up. Her cheeks turn rosy and she mouths a thank you.

For the next hour and a half, I observe the crowd and listen to these impressively intelligent individuals. If I were a judge, I would give all of them first place for how awesome their demonstrations are. It ain't volcanos and crystal candy. The most ingenious invention had to be the young lady from France. She had a slight stutter throughout her pitch, but her Powerpoint was professionally done, and the presentation of her drone that collects and destroys polluted gasses in the air is mind-blowing. The simplest idea goes to a gentleman from Florida who pitched his idea of using an exoskeleton spine contraption that corrects posture. It is durable and made out of recycled plastic.