CHAPTER 23: Independence Day

~PAXTON~

I can't move my body. Why can't I move? I pry open my eyes and oh, that's why. I remember now. Bennet, Chyrsos, and I had to move out of the penthouse when we found a drone stalking us. And then we have made temporary residence in Chrysos' office. Currently, Chrys has made herself comfy. Her body is on top of me, using my shoulder as a pillow. I wrap my arms around her back and let her sleep. It's a national holiday, so everyone has taken the time off. And I would also like to take the time to hang out with Chrysos. Take her on a proper date, but with everything that has been going on, is now really a good time?

"What are you thinking about?" Chrysos says half-awake.

Every time. Like, how does she know when I am stuck in thought?

"Uhmmm. Nothing," I lie and she lifts herself off of me, arms crossed across her chest, and sits on my lap.

"Come on, give me everything all at once. You terrible liar," she urges. I take in a deep breath before giving her an essay.

"I know that today is July fourth and everyone has their day off. But, with everything that has been going on, I probably expect that you might want to take this time to work. You got a lot to think about and plan and create and I should probably not ask you this because I need to continue my investigation. However, I also think that because of how hard we have been working, we deserve a break so even if it is just a small hour of our time, we can put aside our work and do something not work-related," I chatter on and on. She looks pretty confused.

"What are you asking me? Slower, please," Chrysos requests.

Okay, I got this. I don't got this. She's your girlfriend. Couples do coupley things. Now don't wuss out.

"Would you like to go out on a date with me? Today," I ask more succinctly.

"Hahahaha, you're so adorable. You were so scared, like a whittle toddler. What happened to the confidence and cheekiness you had on day one? Did I steal it?" Chrysos insults jokingly and I flip her over on her back, "You are the most annoying, immature human being I have ever met. I take the courage to ask you out and all you gotta do is laugh at how much of a mess you make me."

"Aww, I make you nervous?" she smirks, resting her arms behind her head.

"What? No! You just... It's my first time!" I exclaim, smacking her chest lightly.

"I know. I just like teasing you. Yes, I'd love to go on a date with you," she chuckles, pulling me down on top of her.

SHE SAID YES!

She presses her lips to mine and I do my best not to smush her with my weight. I shiver as her hand wanders under my t-shirt and I take the hint and throw it off.

Although I was always self-conscious when I was younger, I worked extremely hard to become fit when I hit college. I had braces and people called me skinny, stick, or boney. When Sensei Ami began training me, I won competitions and championships in the state. He helped me work out and get stronger, physically and in my own character. I was able to sculpt myself and I've never felt more powerful and confident.

Chrysos inches a bit back so that she can fully take me in view. Her fingers graze my flesh and although I'm a bit stronger than I used to be when I was like in my teens, there are still a few marks that still linger from my past. She uses her fingers to gently feel them.

"This one?" she asks, touching two tiny holes no bigger than a needlepoint located on my back.

"Tasers. Mistaken me for a shoplifter," I said, and to my surprise, her lips pecked it soft as cotton.