TAKE 11

I didn't die.

Thats the first thing I think when I wake up.

And I wasn't happy about that either. 

My heavy body is in nothing but a large t-shirt while Devyn's arms hold me tightly. 

Her tired dark eyes stare down at me as I process the events of last night. 

My breathing grows shallow when I realize the date. 

Omari's death happened five years from this day. 

June fifteenth. 

I shake my head as tears cloud my vision. 

Devyn's glossy eyes stare back at me silently causing more guilt to strike through my tired body. 

She doesn't deserve this. 

She doesn't deserve to watch someone almost die, and be forced to revive them. 

I almost put her through what I went through with Omari. 

"I'm sorry—I'm so sorry," I say weakly as warm tears slide down my warm cheeks. 

She furrows her brows as her glossy eyes look at me with confusion. 

"You didn't deserve to go through that Devyn—I'm-I'm—"

"Shhh," she cuts me off as she shakes her head.

I notice tears slide down her cheeks causing her dark orbs to look away from me. 

She shakes her head, "You could've died Selene—you really could've died," she whispers as her voice wavers. 

More tears cloud my vision as I snuggle in closer to her. 

She sniffles, "I don't even know what I would've done..." she trails off as her voice grows weaker. 

Tears flow from my heavy eyes as I cling to her warm body even tighter. 

"Devyn it... it hurts so bad," I admit as my throat grows raw with dryness. 

Devyn shakes her head as she hugs me tighter to her. 

"I just miss him so much," I choke out. 

Devyn rubs my back calmly. 

"God—and It's all my fault-I-I shouldn't have let him leave by himself," I sob as my voice grows weak.

The same scene that I've replayed over and over for the past five years flashes in my pounding head. 

"Go take a second to get yourself together—I'll cover for you," 

My chest fills with pain at the familiar scene.

"You didn't kill him Selene, and you can't keep blaming yourself as if you did," Devyn's raspy voice urges as she sniffles. 

I stay silent as her grip around me tightens... like she's afraid that I might disappear if she doesn't hold on tight enough.

"Stop this Selene, please. I-I-you can't die," she sobs softly as she buries her warm head into the crook of my shoulder. 

Salty tears coat my flushed cheeks yet again. 

"Please just... please stay," she pleads as she grows even closer to me. 

My body shakes in her arms as I cry uncontrollably. 

I grip her torso even tighter as we both cry in each other's arms. 

We cry until neither of us can anymore—not even if we tried. 

Our tired bodies end up falling asleep as we hold onto each other for dear life.