SCENE 2-TAKE 2

"Yes-yes Lei, I made sure they added enough cold foam," I assure my fianceé as I hold the phone to my ear.

"Perfect, I'll see you soon baby," her soft voice bids me through the phone.

I hum as I wait for my name to be called.

"Love you," I say warmly as I watch the workers make our drinks behind the counter.

"Love you too," she replies before I hang up.

"Vernize!" I hear a worker call as they slide two drinks to the edge of the counter.

I eagerly grab the cups and briefly make my way out of the small cafe onto the busy streets of New York.

I hesitantly weave into the crowd of walking people who are all busily trying to make it to their next destination.

A gasp escapes my lips when I bump into someone forcing my dark eyes to look up.

I harshly grip the drinks in my hands as I stare up at the familiar woman.

Out of all the fifty states and seven continents—she had to choose this city to come to?

"Selene," she tilts her head slightly as people walk past us.

My dark eyes trail her appearance as I notice her usual twists are now gone.

Her dark hair is tightly braided back while a black hoodie rests slightly over her head.

She's in matching sweatpants with colorful sporty sneakers tied onto her feet.

"Devyn," I furrow my brows as I meet her familiar chocolate eyes.

Except they aren't familiar... Not with the tiredness weighing them down.

I frown.

"Why are you here?" I bite out as I feel myself grow uneasy with the lingering memories.

She purses her lips as her tired eyes stare down at mine.

Even her presence can easily remind me of the past.

​​"I'm here—I promise I'll always be here Selene,"

I shake my head.

"Three years Devyn. It's been three years. I've moved on—I'm happy and healed, and of course, you had to just appear. You seriously couldn't have chosen any other city in the entire world?!" I exclaim as I throw my hands up.

Devyn's dark orbs flicker to my left hand.

Her eyes carefully follow my hand when I lower it back down.

"You're married," she states lowly as her eyes continue to stare at the large oval diamond on my left finger.

I scoff.

"That's the only thing you gathered?" I retort coldly.

Her chocolate eyes flicker up to my dark orbs as the woman stares down at me with a blank expression.

After a long silence filled with the busy people passing by, I let out a sigh.

"I'm engaged," I correct her previous statement.

Devyn's brows furrow.

Her dark orbs snap back down to my left hand as she carefully analyzes the diamond.

"The diamond shape doesn't suit you..." she trails off as her brows furrow deeper.

I stay silent as my dark orbs trace her familiar features.