18| Water pool

LUCA

"You can't just walk in our basement like this!" the guard with several cuts on his face shouts just when he notices us walking straight inside.

"Shut the fuck up" Gabriel growls at him.

I kick the chair beside me in order to make the seat face in my direction. After throwing the leather jacket -- I found hanging on the nail beside the dim yellow light -- on the chair, I sit on it. "Call your capo." Fantino orders the scratched man.

He stares at us all in response.

I clench my jaw, I don't have a whole fucking night.

"Call him. Or you won't even know how many bullets I shoot down your throat" I speak.

He clutches his mobile out in an instant and makes the call.

Gabriel snatches it away from his hand and hands it to me. 

"Why you're calling me now? Didn't I tell you—"
"Where's the payment I told you to give me?" I cut him off.

There's an impulsive fear in his voice, "L-Luca?"

"You know my voice very well, Testa" I say, impressed, "Only if you knew I don't like the delay in getting what belongs to me, too..."

"I will pay you soon, premetto"

"You better do. And if I don't get my money, you and I, are going to have some issues"

I hung up the call, deliver the mobile back and stand up.

I pinch the area between my eyebrows and sigh. I've been moving here and there in the city; underground city places, specifically. It's ten-fifty at night. There's no doubt I'm tired and need to sleep for straight eight hours.

But that ain't going to ensue until I finish off with my work.

"Boss - Romano asked for us," Fantino reminds me from behind, "We need to be there in fifteen"

My phone suddenly rings and I bring it out of my back pocket.

It's a call from Julian.

I pick it up. "Boss? You need to get back here as soon as possible" his frightened voice comes.

"What's it?" I question, nonchalantly. Often times he has called me like this, and most of the time it was Pietro's men fucking with the shipment.

"Arabella" her name from his mouth makes a restless wave cross my mind, "I don't know what happened to her, she got slipped into the pool and almost died inside the six feet water level. We saved her and now she's quivering wildly, she even threw her clothes off her body. We don't know what to do"

I run my hand through my hair hurriedly, "Did you call Maria?" I ask abruptly.

"What? Why do we need a doc—"
"Call her immediately Julian, I'll be there in ten" I interrupt and hustle out of this building with my men behind me.

"Ask the boss to cancel the meeting. I'll see him tomorrow." I say.

"But he won't want you to cancel it like this for—"
"Do as I said, Gabriel, don't question my decision"

~~~

I amble out of the car and rush inside.

This shouldn't have happened.

I asked Renzo to clear off the water from the pool. I grasp my fist on my side. Why didn't he make sure of it?

"You call him!" Fantino says to Gabriel in a low, pressured voice walking behind me.