46| Safe And Sound

ARABELLA

We make it to his house after about half an hour on his motorcycle. We step inside, and he immediately heads to his bedroom.

I follow him in, curious, and ask, "What are we doing here?"

He's quick at the computer, typing away. "There was a tracking device in her backpack. If it's still with her, we can use it to find them."

We wait, hoping the screen will guide us on our next move.

I sit next to him, my mind consumed with worry for Tess. Lucius had tried to convince me not to come, citing the risks, but I had made my mind to help.

Looking at my soaked clothes, I realize how drenched I am. Even my hair is dripping. I untie my hair, hoping it'll dry faster.

Thinking about what happened at the waterpark, I can't help but curse. I'd never willingly go back there.

I slip off my waterlogged jacket, and as I do, my gun lands on my thighs, sending a shiver down my spine. I never thought I'd actually be in a situation where I might have to use this thing.

I look over at Lucius, his expression etched with anger. "Back at the waterpark," I ask softly, "you were really ready to shoot that man?"

He doesn't meet my gaze. "Yes," he replies in a low voice.

"Point-blank, straight to kill who misbehaves?" I inquire, wondering if this is his usual way of handling things.

He shakes his head, still avoiding my eyes, and quietly says, "The one who misbehaves with you."

The way he emphasizes the word 'you' lingers in the air, sinking in. He basically means he was willing to kill for me.

I force myself to refocus on the situation. "Your arm needs attention, Lucius," I say, my gaze fixed on the bleeding wound. "You should get it checked."

He tries to avoid it, clearly wanting to focus on other matters, but I can't let him ignore the injury.

He closes the laptop and rises from his seat. "Did you find her?" I get up as well, feeling curious for any updates.

He nods but seems frustrated. "We've got a lead, but it's going to take some time to know the actual location," he mutters, an irritated curse escaping his lips. "I should've protected her better."

I place a reassuring hand on his arm. "Lucius, it's not your fault. We'll find her together," I say with confidence, but it doesn't seem to improve his mood much.

Lucius suddenly pauses, his gaze falling on my clothes, or perhaps on something deeper beneath them. "What are those marks on your body?" he asks, his eyes fixated on my arm.

I try to hide them, not sure how to respond. "Did someone harm you?" he inquires in a hushed tone, his expression inscrutable.

I shift uncomfortably and admit, "No, I did it to myself. I wasn't feeling great last night."

It just feels so weird to open up about these things. It's hard.

I've got hurt by somebody too. But those wounds aren't the ones that can be seen with eyes.

After a few moments, I persuade him to let me properly bandage his wound, and he finally agrees. He doesn't even flinch, but I can tell the cut is worse than he's letting on.

"Thank you," he says.

Lucius turns his attention back to my soaked clothes. "You should use the washing machine and dry your clothes. You'll catch a cold otherwise. The bathroom is right there," he points towards the bathroom.