44| A Goodbye

ARABELLA

Drawing nearer, I realize they've caught wind of my presence. "Who's there?" one of them hollers.

Without a moment's hesitation, my body moves fluidly as I punch the closest man, he blunders on his legs and falls down.

The second man, sensing his partner's state, scrambles for a weapon.

Closing the gap between us, I kick him in the stomach, leaving him dazed and confused. In one final, decisive move, I disarm him, sending the weapon and bomb clattering to the ground.

I was about to kick him in the throat but stop. I can't kill them. My body shivers at the thought, even though I've learnt it all for my own safety, I can't get myself to kill a person.

Suddenly, I hear gunshots and these two men get shot. I look behind at Leah standing with the guard in the window, slamming her forehead. He shot them.

I look at them. Dead. They're bleeding so much. A paper falling out of his pocket catches my gaze and I pick it up.

I look at the picture. My eyebrows get narrowed when I notice it's my picture.

Soon, I get inside the house with the help of guards safely. It seemed like all of the invaders are dead.

After few minutes, we stand on the first floor, watching the dead bodies getting dragged by the guards downstairs, in the hallway. Leah was right, none of them made it to the house alive.

I can't stop thinking about what was my picture doing with them.

How am I any related to this? Were they intended to kill me?

"What were you thinking when you didn't kill them immediately? They could do anything to you in that moment" Leah says, standing beside me.

I don't speak anything for a moment.

I'm trying to understand what's the right side. "I'm not the one to give death to somebody... I couldn't bring myself to do that" I say, letting out a deep sigh. It's a huge thing.

~~~

A black car pulls up right in front of me. I take a step back, making way for it. We stand there, in front of the house, under the bright sun. The morning had been quite an adventure.

I'll be leaving this place soon, and I can't help but wonder if it'll ever be the same.

Thinking about this place brings a wave of memories, especially the ones we shared. My heart aches.

I glance at the main doorway where the security guard is standing. None of them returned.

Shaking my head, I bring myself back to reality. "Leah, could you check if the car's here?" I ask. Leah stands nearby with Kehlani.

She nods. "It's parked outside the house. Are you sure you want to take a cab? I don't think Luca--"

"Don't worry, it's not that far," I reply, offering a reassuring smile. I don't want to impose on them any longer.

Leah's voice trembles as she speaks. I need to leave. I apparently pull her into a warm hug, "I'll miss you" I say. And judging by her embrace, she'll miss me just as much. She's been the only good thing about this place.

I give Kehlani a hug and pat her back. I hope she'll take care of her; she hasn't fully healed from the cut on her wrist. She pulls away from the hug, and a smile tugs at her lips.

"Ma'am, there's a call for you from Boss" one of the guards approaches me.

"Tell him there's no need to talk now." I say with a touch of coldness in my voice.

He hesitates for a moment before insisting, "It's important. Please take the call."

I roll my eyes and take the mobile phone. Instead of one, he passes me two mobiles . "What is it?" I ask, the tension evident in my voice.

"Take the mobile and the car they've arranged for you. It's safe. Just don't get out of the car" his voice, all of a sudden, stirred something within me.

I stare at the newfangled car in front of me and the mobile, "Anything else?" a very heavy silence falls on the other side of the call, "No? Let me request you something too then"

A heavy sadness weighs on my heart when I speak further, "If you want to see me happy... please don't contact me. Ever again"

I suck in a deep breath again and let out a forced laugh, "I shouldn't have broken the two rules you made. You won the bet right?"

And I lost it long ago.

With a heavy heart, I swallow hard, trying to maintain a sensual and confident tone. Why the fuck I'm finding it hard to breathe? "You know I'm serious. I meant what I said. If you want to see me happy, stay away... it's a request" I repeat, hoping he'd understand it.

I shake my head and cut the call when no sound came from there. My heart can't handle any more of this.

Leaving this place behind is both liberating as well as heart-wrenching.

I open the car door and flop myself on the seat. It feels like I'm tightly wrapped in this car, like fragile glassware protected by soft bubble wrap. I can't see anything outside; the windows are all blacked out except for the front windshield.

Even the driver looks like a retired army commando.

The car smoothly glides through the streets. My mind is occupied by strange thoughts.

Ever since last night, I've been feeling down. My mind and heart feels heavy.

I know him enough to understand that he won't be crossing the boundaries I've set. I requested him, and he'll respect it. By this time, he must have understood what he's doing to my life, and that's enough for him to keep himself away from me.

My thoughts drift, but suddenly, my eyes widen in disbelief. There, I spot Lucius and Tess. They're seated at an open-air restaurant in front of a nearby building. My heart leaps in surprise and concern. My gaze fixates on them as I see someone attempting to drag Tess away while Lucius is distracted, looking in a different direction.

Panic grips me, and I can't stay seated any longer. "Driver, stop the car, now!" I urgently request.

The driver obeys, but as I try to open the car door, it refuses to budge. My desperation mounts, and I plead with the driver, "Let me out!"

"I'm not allowed to."

"A kid is getting kidnapped! We need to-"

"La prego di collaborare con me, signora." he says, starting the car's engine. I don't understand what he's saying.

I lean forward, trying to get closer to him. "Look, I just want to ensure she's safe, and then we can leave. Let's step out and check for a moment," I urge with a sense of urgency.

Reluctantly, he opens the door, and without hesitation, I jump out of the car. My mind can't function when I see Lucius fighting a couple of men. Tess is nowhere in the picture.

My heels hit the pavement as I rushed towards Lucius to help him, but he was fast enough to knock off the two men. I see him in a fierce struggle with searching for Tess around him, "Tess?!" he looks around, "Where is she-"

"Did they take her away? Where's she?!" before he could even hear what I said, he jerked his head to the sides and ran. I watch him running and notice a few people running inside a huge gate. They're kidnapping her!

I take a step forward to run after them too but the guard jumps in front of me, blocking my way, "I'm not allowed" he says again and steps closer to me, backing me off to where we came from.