41| The Wedding

His eyes were the same color as the sea in a postcard someone sends you when they love you, but not enough to stay.

Even though I'd gotten my invitation and RSVP'd weeks ago, somehow I managed to forget that I needed a new dress to attend Blair and Ethan's wedding. 

I had quite some dresses but in my original size, not the one that could accommodate my new figure at all. I had managed in loose clothes for long enough but now I seriously needed some maternity clothes. 

It just felt so unnecessary to buy clothes for just three months that I'll never fit in again.

My baby bump was big and visible and like every other expecting mother, my hand would involuntarily touch my stomach and caress it every so often. I hadn't known what was back pain until now in my life, because the constant weight of my growing belly was becoming a lot for my body.

"You know I got a plus one on the invite." Andrea said, moving her hand over the maternity t-shirts lined up near her. 

"So Mark will be there?" I smiled.

Andrea nodded excitedly. "Uh huh. I can't wait for you guys to meet." Her eyes turned distant and dreamy. "My two favorite people in the world." She sighed in contentment.

I chuckled. "I can't wait to meet him either, but right now you need to get out of your daydreaming to help me choose a dress."

We'd specifically stepped inside a maternity store and I made sure to steer clear from all the cute little baby clothes that hung across the store and kept my eyes glued to the mothers' section.

"Right, of course. What are you looking for?"

I shrugged, caressing my hand over my belly. "Anything fancy would do, to be honest." I rolled my eyes. "I just cannot compromise on my comfort anymore." I grunted softly. "Gone are the days when beauty was pain and I wear high heels." I whined, looking down at my swollen feet. 

Andrea snickered beside me. I elbowed her. 

"Hey! Don't you dare laugh at me." I faked a glare. "It would only be this," I moved my index finger over me, "hot mama that takes cares of you when you go on to have your babies with Mark."

Her laughs instantly halted. I smirked. I knew this would get to her. I didn't even have to look at her to know she was bright red. Only a few things could get to her like that and luckily I knew the most recent one;

She was besotted with Mark.

"Hot mama, huh?" Andrea scoffed mockingly. I shoved her away with a smile, making us both snicker like little brats in the middle of the store.

After a while, we sobered up and finally started looking for a good dress for me. Andrea already had hers picked out, a periwinkle blue woolen dress which was simple and stylish, reaching a few inches above her ankle and then there were matching blue stilettos that I was really envious of.

"Hey, what do you think about me throwing you a baby shower?"

I blinked, looking up from the dress in my hand. "Baby shower? For me?"

Andrea shrugged. 

"Wow, I didn't even think of that." 

"It's because this isn't a conventional pregnancy."

I nodded. "Yeah, exactly."

It was a bit weird. Worrying about labor and birth but not allowing myself to think about coming home with my little daughter in my arms, Zach carrying our stuff behind us.