4| Enough Moping Around

The best relationships are the ones that you never saw coming.

"Take care, Zach.", Sasha offered a soft smile to Zach, standing up as their lawyers wrapped up the business. Seconds ago, he just signed the divorce Sasha wanted. He was disappointed and mad at her to the point that he couldn't even look at her.

With his jaw set, and fists clenched, he shook his lawyer's hand, muttering a small 'thank you' and walked out without giving her any reply. He didn't think he would be able to speak without crying or look at Sasha without feeling a sharp pang in his chest.

Ethan was standing outside waiting for him, a look of sympathy on his face. He was obviously sad that two of his best friends were divorcing each other.

Zach looked here and there, his expression wary and pained. He didn't understand how he was supposed to react. How was he going to cope with this nightmare? How was he going to talk without feeling like he wanted to scream and cry?

Still, he drew in a shaky breath and faced Ethan. "It's done.", he choked on his words. The lump in his throat was painful, forcing him to stay quiet or he might let all it out and cry. Zach tried to swallow it down and get to his home as soon as possible.

Would it even feel like home now? Or just an apartment?

"I'm so sorry, Zach."

Zach acknowledged his support with a mere nod, not even registering that Ethan had moved toward him for a hug. Instead, he walked out of the wretched place called 'family court', which just tore him apart.

He sat down inside Ethan's car. Ethan came in moments later and reached for his seat belt. Zach looked out of the window but cursed his own eyes when they landed on Sasha's grandpa John, who was holding her, patting her shoulder before sitting inside her car.

Zach felt a sense of loss so strong as the distance between him and Sasha grew, knowing he wasn't even sure if he'll ever be able to sit in the same room with her again. The pain in his chest never left, but only increased. It had been there since the day she demanded a divorce.

Ethan unlocked the door to his apartment. Zach hesitated before going in, feeling overwhelmed. His breath turned shallow, and all he wanted to do was lie down.

He felt drained of energy. He was barely able to eat any breakfast this morning before they headed to the court. He certainly couldn't find an appetite for lunch. Still, Ethan cooked them both his favorite Parmesan Pasta, and Zach could tell how concerned Ethan was when he refused to even drink some juice.

"I am not hungry, okay? Leave me alone.", Zach told him honestly when Ethan persisted him to eat something.

"Fine, then. I won't eat either. We'll both stay hungry.", Ethan said firmly, putting the plates away and their lunch in the fridge. Zach let out an irritated sigh.

"I don't want you to sacrifice your lunch over me. Just have it. I don't mind."

Ethan, though, was rigid about his decision. Zach would've cared if he did this any other day, but today? He just couldn't give a damn. He knew Ethan thought he would have lunch so that his best friend doesn't have to stay hungry, but today it won't work.

He gave Ethan a 'watch-me' stare and laid down on one end of his L-shaped couch. Ethan silently sat down beside him, giving him his space but not leaving him alone either. He took out his phone to play some games, waiting for Zach to give up. Minutes passed by, and then they turned into hours.

Zach was dying to forget about the day and get some relaxation time while sleeping, but he couldn't catch even a wink of it. He couldn't help but be awfully aware of the fact that Ethan was starving himself because of him. He hated him for doing this to him, no matter how pure his intentions were.