15| Past & Future

Important Author's Note at the end.

Time does not matter. Character does.

I learned it a long time ago that time means nothing in building a relationship, forming an unbreakable bond with friends, earning someone's trust or breaking it, for the matter.

I know I haven't known Zach for a long time, we're still getting to know each other, but from what I gathered so far, he is a nice man, and he genuinely seems to care for the baby. The fact that he treats me well is also very reassuring.

Not the most ideal situation for it, but I think we can be good friends. Perfect situations don't even exist, in my opinion, so why fret over it? So I agreed to be his roommate along with being his co-parent. So far, I think I made the right decision.

We'd decided that I would move in the next weekend, so I spent the whole week packing up my things, which was a little tiring, but with Andrea and Mira's help, I managed it well.

It was Saturday, and a small truck was parked downstairs that would transfer my stuff to Zach's--well, now ours apartment. Zach was also here, along with me and Andrea. He helped us carry the boxes. All the while Andrea carried such a gloomy expression on her face. It was disheartening.

She really wasn't happy about my moving out. When two last boxes were left, she looked even more downcast, and I feared she might start crying soon.

I went ahead and grabbed one of the big boxes, while Zach picked up the other, not wanting Andrea to exert herself anymore, but Zach stopped me.

"No, Zara, don't grab that one. I'll take care of that.", he said, a little breathless. He walked towards the door, and my gaze followed him.

"What? Why not?"

He didn't turn around to answer. "Did you forget you're pregnant? You don't get to pick heavy things now."

"Right.", I drawled.

Free from this work, I turned to my sweet Andy, who was sitting on the sofa with her legs and arms crossed, a small pout on her face. She was frowning. I walked towards her, stopping a feet away.

Smiling softly, I grabbed hold of her hands. "We'll meet every day, I promise."

She tightened our hold. "That's not enough. I want you to live with me."

I sat down beside her with a sigh. "I'm really sorry, honey. There's no one in the world I would want to live with as much as you. But you know it's important, don't you?", I murmured.

She nodded. "I do. It feels like the same day when you moved in with Travis and I had to come here."

Ah, that day had been terrible. It was a week after our graduation. Travis and I had decided to move in together, and so we rented a place while Andrea, whose only purpose was to get education in UK had to fly back here, in Boston.

We'd cried a lot that day, and it was very funny the way Andrea kept shooting envious glances at Travis, because he would get to stay with me, but she wouldn't.

I wrapped my hand around my girl's shoulder, pulling her in a side hug. "We're only a few miles away, and I really promise we will meet everyday, okay? If you want, I can come and sleep here during the weekends.", I added.

Her eyes lit up at that. "We could make it a slumber party! Maybe we could invite Mira also, although she does seem a little weird."

I laughed loudly. The irony. "I think you guys could be great friends.", I smiled, kissing her forehead.