Chapter 5: The Kindred Spirit

Komi took in a deep breath, gathering her courage before stepping out the front door of her house. She had on her favorite white dress with blue jeans, purple and white sneakers, as well as her favorite sunhat. With her notebook and pen in hand, she started walking to the library.

After the club meeting yesterday, Yuri texted Komi again. They made arrangements to meet at the library so that they could pick out a book to begin reading together. Yuri suggested that they meet sometime between 10:30am and 11:00am, so Komi arrived promptly at 10.

Arriving early allowed Komi time to prepare mentally for Yuri's arrival. She was still getting used to having friends and meeting with them outside of school, let alone meeting with them by herself (and not having Tadano there to assist her).

Finally, just 5 minutes before 10:30, Yuri appeared. She had on a nice white long-sleeve shirt and black leggings with simple sneakers. She looked very pretty as she approached; Komi was very impressed with how pretty she looked.

"Hello, Yuri. You look very nice." Komi greeted her, holding up her notebook as Yuri walked up to her. After reading Komi's greeting, she smiled politely and nodded appreciatively.

"Thank you. You look very nice as well. I love that dress." She complimented back.

Komi flinched in surprise and gasped a little. She then blushed and began to fidget nervously, unsure of how to take the compliment. Yuri simply smiled again and began making her way inside. Komi fell in step next to her, and they entered the library together.

"I've never been to this particular library before. It looks nice though. I like that they have areas to sit and relax too." Yuri commented as they made their way inside. Komi nodded in agreement.

"Oh wow, look at those two pretty girls! They must be related or something." People commented as they watched Yuri and Komi make their way into the fiction section of the library.

"So, Komi, have you thought about what sort of book you'd like to start with?" Yuri asked, turning around to face her.

Komi flinched and started to become nervous. She had given a little consideration to what she might be interested, but she honestly had no idea where to start. But how would she relay that information to Yuri, who was expecting her to have an answer?

"I was thinking perhaps something more fantasy-based? I have a friend who likes those sorts of things, so I'd like to try that." Komi explained.

"I see. Well, there's plenty of options here for sure. In fact, I've been quite hooked on a fantasy series that has more of a medieval setting to it." Yuri brought up.

"Really? What is it about?" Komi asked.

"Ah, well, it has to do with a band of warriors that have to travel across kingdoms on behalf of their queen, encountering many different types of people and monsters in search of ancient relics. It's quite well written, and there's so many intricate details to it.

"For example..."

As Yuri began to start explaining how much research and detail went into her book series, Komi found herself understanding less and less. It was starting to make her head spin trying to keep up with everything that Yuri was saying.

Also, even though she figured Yuri was shy and quiet like her, Komi had never heard her talk this much. She was clearly very passionate, which Komi found to be cute if not also overwhelming.

"Ahem...I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of rambling about these things. How juvenile. Do forgive me. Maybe something more simple and straightforward would be better suited for you, at least starting out." Yuri suggested.