Chapter 11: The Boy With Curly Hair

"Hey there! My name's Alexander, but just call me Alex. That's what everyone calls me. Only my mom calls me Alexander, haha. Maybe you know me as MC, as in main character? Just a little hint hint there. Maybe this chapter should've been called 'The Self-Insert'? Anyways-!

"For the past few months, I've been going to this prestigious private school called Itan High. It's been really tough adjusting to this new country, new city, and new school – but all things considered, I think I'm doing alright.

"Now, I'd love to be able to say I come to school every day and just skate by handling my studies and keeping things relaxed – under the radar. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. See, I moved here from America, and while I'm not a white guy, I'm not Asian either, so I stick out like a sore thumb regardless.

"That's not a big deal though. I've got some good friends, interesting classmates, not to mention an awesome girlfriend! So I could say things are looking up for me either way."

There was a rumor floating around Itan High: you know that first-year foreign exchange student? He's a harsh person with very few friends. He has an intimidating glare that he would shoot at you if you came too close or made eye contact with him.

No one really knew who he was or what he was about – that's why he sat by himself at lunch every day.

Every day when the lunch bell rang, while other students would eat with their friends or at their desk, Alex would take his lunch bag to the student commons area. He would sit at a table by himself facing outwards with his food in his hand and his earbuds on. As he ate, he would look down the hall or towards the floor or out the window.

"I like eating by myself. It's calm, relaxing; it allows me to think and focus. Sometimes it gets a little annoying, being the quiet and reserved type in a class full of loud or extroverted people. Of course, there's nothing wrong with being like that, but sometimes I just need a little time to recenter and recharge my patience meter."

Alex's internal narration was interrupted by the feeling of something hitting his foot, "Hmm?" He looked down and saw a backpack that he didn't recognize up against the side of his foot. Someone had slid it purposefully to hit him and get his attention.

"Hey!" A girl with brown hair came walking over. She picked up her backpack and moved it away slightly before sitting down in the seat next to his, "What's up?"

Alex's eyebrows raised a little in surprise. He swallowed his food and paused his music before removing his earbuds slowly, "Hey. Uh, what's up?" He asked, clearly confused.

"I noticed you've been sitting here all by yourself, so I thought I'd come by and say hello! My name's Onemine Nene." She introduced herself formally.

"I'm Alex."

"Nice to meet you, Alex! Where are you from?" She asked curiously, turning towards him and leaning one arm on the table. She crossed one leg over the other and tilted her head slightly as she talked to him.

"I, uh, moved her from America a couple months ago."

"Yeah? That's what I heard. That's really exciting! What's America like?!" She asked enthusiastically, resting her chin on her palm.

"Heheh, uh, not too different than here...just 13 hours behind." He joked.

"I've always wanted to go to America." Onemine said with a smile.

"It really depends on where you go. A big tourist spot like Florida or New York is where you wanna be if you want that 'magical American experience'." He advised, waving his hands in front of him.