Chapter 39: The Joys of Winter

Greetings, everyone.

"I hope that you are all enjoying the Winter season, and staying safe and warm in this weather. Before the season comes to an end, I would like to have a fun day in the snow one more time. If you are available next Saturday, it would make me very happy if you could come over and spend some time outside with me. My mother has offered to make hot chocolate for everyone who comes (it's the delicious and the bestest~!)

I look forward to it.

Sincerely,

Komi

Komi wanted to review what her mother had typed up for her before it was sent out, so she was hit with a hot flash of embarrassment when she saw that her mom had already sent the message (and included a weird comment in parenthesis).

Nevertheless, people quickly started to respond, letting her know that they would be there: Tadano, Naijimi, Nakanaka, Onemine and her siblings, Monika, Yuri, Natsuki, Alex, and Yamai – she included in her response that she would be bringing Komi a souvenir from her holiday trip to Hawaii.

Komi spent the whole week feeling nervous about the gathering, mentally preparing herself for the big crowd that would be coming. Since she had practically her whole class come to her house during Christmas, she had a better sense of what the energy would be like.

Still, she hoped that everyone would get along, including her fellow literature club members.

She could hardly sleep the Friday night before, her head was filled with hypothetical scenarios, anticipation, and the excitement of getting to see her friends outside of school again. She could hardly stand it but she couldn't wait.

Saturday morning came and Komi was up bright and early. She ate breakfast, got herself bundled up, and stepped outside. She waited for awhile for her friends to come. It took awhile, but Naijimi and Tadano were the first to arrive; not surprising since they lived the closest.

"Morning, Komi!" Naijimi sang, "Ready to play?"

"Mhmm!" Komi nodded excitedly, her cat ears popping out as she did so.

"Heheh, what would you like to do first, Komi?" Tadano asked with a smile.

"Hmm..." Komi thought to herself.

"We should try and build the biggest snowman possible!" Naijimi suggested, "I'll start rolling up the first snowball!"

So the three of them got started on preparing a snowman. As they started rolling the first snowball, packing it with extra snow as Naijimi meticulously rolled it across Komi's front yard, some more of Komi's friends started to show up: Onemine and her trio of siblings.

"Hey, Komi! How's it going? Good to see you! You too, Tadano, Naijimi." Onemine greeted them pleasantly, waving in their direction.

"Quiet Komi! Hey quiet Komi!" The other Onemines ran in circles around Komi, excited to see her again. They laughed and ran around her, causing Komi to freeze up and panic. She wasn't sure what to do or how to respond.

"Looks like you got yourself a little fan club going!" Alex said with a laugh as he made his way into the yard with his hands in his coat pockets.

"Hey, Alex! We're making a giant snowman!" Naijimi waved to him.

"Well well well, good to see you too, Alex. How've you been?" Onemine asked, smiling sideways at him.

"Not too bad. How 'bout yourself? Those all of your siblings?" He asked curiously, pointing to the kids who were either talking to Komi or helping Naijimi with his snowman project.