Chapter 15: The Circle

"Okay, everyone! Today is poem day!" Monika stated as everyone sat down at their desks, "I know I am quite excited for it today since we have the full group present. So should we jump right into it?" She suggested.

"Sounds good to me. Heck, I'll even go first today. I'm feeling pretty good about my poem this week." Natsuki said with a smile.

"Then feel free to start us off, Natsuki." Monika cheerfully invited her to go.

"With pleasure! This one is called 'Snap!'"

Another set of Literature Club meetings had come and gone, and now Komi had reached what was always the grand finale of the week: poem day. Everyone was excited to share their poems...except for her, because she had forgotten to write a new poem this week!

Komi was shaking and fidgeting nervously while the other girls read their poems: first Natsuki, then Sayori, next Monika, and finally Yuri. Now the girls were all looking at her and looking at Alex, waiting to see who would volunteer to go next.

"Hoo, boy. Do you smell that?" Natsuki asked the others, waving a hand in front of her nose.

"I don't smell anything out of the ordinary, Natsuki. What do you mean?" Yuri asked her.

"It smells like cold feet in here." She responded with a smirk, revealing that she was teasing Alex and Komi for being silent. Alex, although he was one of the ones on the receiving end of this, shook his head and started snickering at the comment.

"Oh goodness," Monika giggled at this before switching gears. "You seem pretty anxious, Komi. Everything okay?" She noticed.

"I'm sorry. I forgot that I was supposed to write a new poem." Komi wrote, holding her notebook up in front of her face to hide that she was practically on the verge of tears.

"Oops!" Sayori giggled at this, "That's okay, Komi! You're still not used to it." She pointed out to reassure her.

"If it makes you feel any better, Komi, I didn't write a poem either." Alex said, smiling and chuckling while leaning forward at his desk.

"Slacking as usual." Natsuki teased him.

"What do you mean?! What, so it's alright when Komi does it, but when it's me? Oh now it's a problem." Alex asked, getting defensive but still speaking in an amused manner.

"Komi's not used to our club schedule yet. You've been around too long for that excuse." Natsuki said, shaking her head at him while cracking a smile.

"This is coming from the girl that needs a booster seat to sit in her desk." Alex teased right back.

"Grr! Hmph!" Natsuki folded her arms in front of her, looking away and pouting.

"Alright, you two. Back in your cages," Monika said jokingly. "Komi, do you still have your poem that you did write?" She asked.

"Mhmm." Komi nodded.

"Alex, why don't you and Komi exchange your older poems with each other? Komi can share hers, and you can share...well, whatever it is you'd like to share." Monika suggested.

"Oh, exchanging poems? Like how we used to do it. Sure, sounds good." Alex said, getting out of his chair.

"As for the rest of us, first of all, great job on all your poems! It'll be free time for the rest of the meeting, so if you wanna read or write, feel free." Monika decided.

"Thank you, Monika." Yuri said, feeling relieved that she had taken charge and cleared the tense air before it could build.

"Alright, Komi. Let's go." Alex said, making his way to the corner of the room. He went near the teacher's desk so they could speak privately.