Chapter 22: The Garden

For most other students, summer break was a time to look forward to, since there was no school. However, for Komi, it was less exciting only because breaks were when she had the hardest time figuring out what she wanted to do.

Of course, now that her circle of friends had greatly increased this year, things had been easier – she'd already gone to the local water park with her friend group. But still, there were days where she found herself just laying in bed not knowing what to do.

Today was one of those days...until Sayori called.

Komi sat up in surprise as Sayori's name showed up on her phone. She looked around her room a few times before answering the phone call. She opened her mouth, but before she could even begin to start mustering up the courage to speak, Sayori started talking.

"Good morning, Komi! Or should I say afternoon, huh? Anyways, how are you?" She asked.

"U-Uh...I-I'm...I'm well. And you?" Komi spoke slowly, stuttering over just about every word.

"I'm doing good! So hey, I was thinking about visiting my favorite botanical garden today. You wanna come? I got an extra pass!" She offered.

"Ah...yes." Komi agreed with a nod.

"Great! I'll text you the address. I'mma be leaving in a little bit, so just lemme know when you're there, 'kay? See you soon, Komi!" Sayori said quickly before hanging up.

Komi's eyes widened in surprise. In a matter of seconds, she had gone from having nothing to do today to now having plans to meet up with a friend. This realization made her spring to her feet as she now scrambled to get ready!

Getting dressed in sneakers, black leggings, and a nice top that Yamai had bought for her some time ago, she went out and walked to the city, nervously clutching her purse as she looked for the address that Sayori had sent her.

When she reached the right place, she found herself standing in front of a building with a lot of glass decorated with large banners that displayed different plants and other foliage. She stared up at it and awe for a few moments before Sayori came over to her.

"Heyyy, Komi! I'm glad you made it!" She said with a smile, waving as she ran up to her.

Sayori had on the white sundress that matched with Komi's own dress. She also had on light brown sandals. But more noticeable than the outfit was the large camera that Sayori was wearing around her neck. Komi reached into her purse, pulling out a pen and a small notepad.

"Hello, Sayori. Thank you for the invitation," She showed her the message she had written in advance before flipping to the next page and writing something else. "What is the camera for?"

"Oh! I'm thinking about trying out a new hobby: photography! So I brought my dad's old camera along. I think it'll be fun!" Sayori said with a grin.

Komi enthusiastically nodded in agreement.

"Let's go! Oh, here's your pass. You're gonna love it, Komi! They have all kinds of trees and flowers in here, and a butterfly garden!" Sayori said excitedly as they went up the steps towards the front entrance.

Komi's eyes lit up at the mention of a butterfly garden. Once they were inside, Komi wrote a question for Sayori on her notepad.

"Have you been here before?" She asked.

"Yep! Plenty of times! So what do you wanna see first?" Sayori asked, looking at her excitedly.

"I'll go where you go." Komi answered.

"Well then strap in 'cause we're gonna see everything!" Sayori declared before grabbing Komi's hand and pulling her along...

Komi had always found animals to be more fascinating than nature, but it was interesting to see so many different types of plants and flowers. Who knew that you could get so many different colors out of things that grow from the ground?