Chapter 8: The Short Poem

This was it.

Today was the day: Komi's first poem day in the Literature Club. It wasn't much, but she finally had something written down to share with the others. She must not have been the only one that was nervous, because she wasn't the first to arrive at the classroom.

"Hey, Komi! It's poetry day! Are you ready?" Sayori greeted her enthusiastically as she walked in.

"Mm...mhmm." Komi hesitated before answering her slowly with a hum and a nod.

"Great," Monika, who was also in the club room, smiled kindly at her. "We're looking forward to it. Would you mind helping us get set up? We're moving the desks right now. Uhh, say, do you know how to make tea?" She asked.

Komi gasped a little, "Mhmm!" She quickly nodded her head.

"Great! Yuri texted me saying she's gonna be just a little late for the meeting today, so if you could get that set up too, that would be a huge help!" Monika requested.

Komi again nodded her head quickly, excited that she was being asked help. She stepped in to help slide the desks into place first. Once that was done, she made her way to the back of the room to start preparing the tea. By then, Natsuki had arrived.

"Yo yo yo, how's everyone doing today?" She greeted her fellow club members with a pleasant smile.

"Hey, Natsuki! We're almost ready to get started already. Almost ready to get started already," Monika repeated her sentence at a slower pace and chuckled to herself, realizing how weird the sentence sounded. "We're just waiting on Yuri and the tea." She informed Natsuki.

"Oh, alright. Hey, Yuri! How much longer for the tea?" Natsuki called to the back of the classroom.

Komi flinched and froze in place. Was Natsuki talking to her? Was she mistaking her for Yuri? If that was the case, she needed to correct her. How could she correct Natsuki's mistake in a way that wouldn't make her feel awkward?

Komi slowly stopped what she was doing. She wordlessly set the tea kettle down, turned her shoulders a little, and looked back at Natsuki.

"K-! Komi, my bad! You and Yuri have the same hair, heheh, so you look similar from-from behind." Natsuki apologized. She was trying to play it off, but the neutral expression that Komi was staring at her with was actually pretty off-putting.

Was Komi offended by that?

"Haha, I never noticed that before! They actually do look a little similar!" Sayori pointed out with a laugh.

Komi's eyes widened a little. She blushed and looked away, unsure of how to respond.

"Who looks similar?" Yuri asked curiously as she entered the classroom.

"You and Komi!" Sayori answered her. Yuri chuckled and shook her head.

"I disagree with that notion. We may share some characteristics, but Komi is skinnier and much prettier than I am." Yuri pointed out.

"Mm mm." Komi disagreed quietly. She wanted to speak up and say that she actually thought that Yuri was prettier than her, but she had left her notebook on her desk; she was totally disarmed.

"Aww but you're super pretty too!" Sayori said.

"Thank you, Sayori, but I would rather not get into this. Oh, Komi, you got the tea prepared already? Thank you." Yuri noticed. Komi nodded to her in response.

"Okay, everyone! Since we're all here, let's go ahead and get ready to start the club meeting. I'll help you serve the tea, Komi." Monika offered. The others took their seats while Monika and Komi set the table for the others.