Chapter 12: The Full Club

Komi was feeling especially nervous as she made her way to the Literature Club meeting after school. Now that she knew that there would be another new face in the classroom, she had to mentally prepare herself to associate with another new personality.

But it was more complicated than that too, since she already knew a little about this guy's history with the other club members, not to mention that awkward incident with Monika. Yeah, she still hadn't forgotten that, and she had already figured out that THAT would be the guy she'd be meeting today.

As she reached the classroom door, her anxiety approached its peak. She took in a few deep breaths to try and slow her breathing, clutching her chest. She lifted her head up and slowly forced herself to relax her posture – she knew that she had already put this off for too long.

She was determined to do better for the sake of her friends by breaking through this awkward barrier. With determination, she entered into the classroom and was ready for her friends to greet her...

But they weren't here yet. Only one person was in the room: Monika's boyfriend. His back was to her as he lined up the desks for when the others did arrive. He hummed a little to himself as he slid the last one into place. He then stood up and began to remove his tie and jacket.

That's when he began to turn and noticed Komi standing in the doorway. His mouth hung slightly open as he realized that he was being watched. When his eyes met her, Komi froze; she recognized his face...

He was the guy that was sitting with Onemine and Sayori at lunch!

Komi's jaw clenched tightly when this realization hit her. She had already made a bad impression with him! He's the guy that didn't like her because she ran away! This was bad! She had to figure out a way to make amends now, but what could she do?

"Hey there. You're Komi, right?" He asked her, setting his jacket and tie down on the back of his chair. Komi straightened her back and nervously nodded her head.

"M-Mhmm."

"Cool. I'm Alex. Nice to meet you," He smiled a little and nodded his head upwards as an informal greeting. "Come on in. Looks like we're both early." He noted with a little chuckle.

Komi made her way inside quietly, setting her things down on one of the desks. She met Alex's eyes again for a moment but then blushed in embarrassment and looked down. All she could picture in her head was the visual of her and Monika when they were alone in this room.

"Monika was telling me about you earlier," He brought up. "I think it's nice that the club has a newer member than me now, heheh. It's cool. And I already know how you are about talking, so don't worry about that. I have no problems with that. I get it."

Komi's head perked up, and her eyes widened. Perhaps without realizing it, Monika had saved her from her own situation. Since he already knew about her, she didn't need to worry about making up for what happened before...but she still felt like she should.

"I'm sorry for running away earlier." She wrote in her notebook.

"'I'm sorry for...' Oh you're fine! I thought you just had somewhere you needed to be, haha. But it's nice to actually get to meet you now. Everyone seems to really like you." He commented.

Komi blushed again and fidgeted, unsure of how to respond. It took her a long time to write anything else, "The other members seem to really like you too."

"Oh yeah? They're great, aren't they?" Alex said with a little laugh, "I haven't been here in awhile, but it's been nice being back. Almost feels like old times all over again...almost." He commented oddly, drifting off into thought for a moment.