Letter in the Box

I was about to open the box when Alan stopped me. He took a photo first and wore his gloves afterwards.
"Any idea who left this box in front of your door?" He asked and handed over the box to me after I wore my gloves. The box looks suspicious and I can't let my guard down. Slowly I opened it and found a letter inside.

Jake!

Jake!

My hand automatically covers my mouth and my eyes are glued on that parchment paper.
I know the sender is after Jake and he is aiming to use me to get him!
Now I understand why Jake stopped communicating for almost a month!
My heart is now aching for I know they are coming after me to get Jake.
They know about Jake's feelings.
"Ehem" Alan said to get my attention. I looked at him and handed over the paper.
He immediately read and crease are forming on his forehead.
"Seems like they are after your hacker boyfriend" he said with a serious face.
Here we go again. "He is not my boyfriend Alan, how many times do I have to tell everyone that I'm single?" I sounded annoyed. Yes we exchanged I love you's a couple of times but ugh we're not official. He never asked me!
Alan looked at me skeptically.
"We're not dating" I rolled my eyes and marched towards my door. For a moment I forgot the threat.
Alan followed me closely "There is a serious threat on you, you should be extremely careful. Its best if you keep a company with you" I can sense sincerity on Alan's voice. He is right, I have to be extremely careful.
These days death has been following me everywhere...
Wait....
What if...
What if they are the one behind these recent deaths in Duskwood?!
I turned to Alan and said "Alan? What if the sender of this letter and the recent deaths happening in Duskwood are related?"
He crossed his arms and fell in silence for a moment.
"Are you saying all these recent deaths are beint pinned to you?" He asked and I nodded. "What if their objective is to set me up? I have no idea of how deep and plentiful their connections are in the goverment. I have a feeling that they have people working for them. Don't you wonder how deaths just started to pop up nowhere wherever I go? And these rumors and hates on the social media..Could this "R" be the reason behind all of this?" I added.
Alan sighed. "There is a possibility however we don't have concerete evidence and we don't even know who is R. If he can pull this kind of Shinanigans, that means he is too powerful to be too bold" he said.
Exactly. Jake... what have yourself got into?
It seems like, its not only the government. It sounds like...someone under the goverment is after him.
"I'm going in Alan, my head is pounding. Thank you for the ride" I said before entering my apartment.
"On my free time, I'm going to be around to watch over you. Consider what I told you about having a companion with you" he said and walked towards his car.
A companion?
Who?
I'm all buy myself, I have no family.
I smiled bitterly as I lay on my couch.
Even if I have someone, I would not like to risk their lives.
My life is starting to get complicated. All I want is to be with Jake but why is it so hard?
Why is life seems to be tearing us apart?
Who are these people after him?
I fell asleep thinking about Jake and the letter.

When I wake up I looked at the clock telling its midnight.
My stomach is growling so I decided to make something to eat then I realized something.

I remember falling asleep on the couch holding the letter, why am I in my room? And where is the letter????

I searched the entire apartment looking for the letter but its nowhere to be find.

My stomach growls once more and I turned my gaze to the table.

My eyes grew wide.. as I approached the table.

There is a hot glass of milk, a muffin and steak.

I dont remember making them.

Then I noticed a folded paper beneath the plate.

"I will protect you with my life"

Jake!

He was here!