2. The carefree yet painful past.

༻  ♡  ♡  ♡    ༺

༻ ♡ ♡ ♡ ༺

IT was still dark outside. Just a bunch of lamps were seen glowing in the empty streets. It was tranquil unlike the peak hours of morning. I woke up upon seeing a nightmare.

I was sweating and panting. My breathing was fast and quick, almost as if I'd die out of breath. Adjusting my eye to the dimly lit room, I got up from the bed to turn the lights on. My head started hurting all of a sudden.

There were ringing noises within my head. I knew it wasn't from my Akasha Terminal but it was a true nightmare.

"Y/n......you are our only hope."

"Hmph, you who have no knowledge is absolutely useless to this land. We the scholars do not allow some low-likely being into our prestigious institution." 

"We are out of money Y/n....F/n cannot make it any further if we cannot buy that medical drug from Liyue. You need to secure a job." 

"The debt must be repaid within the next month or we'll have to secure this house as well. I'm afraid there's no help that we can do Miss. Y/n."

"Do something Y/n! Please!" 

Y/n snapped out of her train of thoughts as the sharp pain in her head started to dull. Her heart rate was still quick as she was sweating from what she had seen. 

The past. Some say the past is what shapes a person. 

If their past was of no harm, in a care free world of no suffering, they wouldn't last much longer in the present as an individual. 

But if their past was of suffering, expectations, hopeless feelings, and sleepless nights of trauma then no one can ever drag them down in the present as an individual.

It's very likely that Y/n experienced both the bitter circumstances.  As a little child, she who enjoyed the world with no care and as a young adult, she who suffered as her family crumbled.

When the entirety of Sumeru enjoyed, Y/n suffered. She kept moving from one job to another job just to support her family. When she saw the children or people of her own age group becoming successful in life, she was envious. 

Y/n's father had suffered from an unknown disease that made his entire body weak. No doctors in Sumeru were able to treat him but they charged a very high price per each visit. Finally it was said that the drug could only be bought from Liyue but by then, the family had run out of money. 

Y/n barely earned a few hundred mora from all the jobs she took at port Ormos. She worked hard each and everyday at a young age just to save her crumbling family yet it was to a waste.

Before she had enough money in her hands, her father was long gone. An anonymous person had donated her the money just a few hours before her father was gone. When she came to know the tragic news, rather than crying she decided not to mention this to her mother as she thought that they money was sufficient enough to get her a better post and a bigger establishment.

Akademiya. 

Only the wisest of the scholars were accepted at the Akademiya. How could a mere trader's daughter reach such heights. The entire public only spat negative comments at Y/n when the news spread of her attempting the exams.

"Her? That merchant's child? Of course I'll appreciate her determination but she I'll bet all my mora that she wouldn't even get a single answer right."

Y/n brushed off these comments and spent her days at libraries, reading books that may come handy. When the day had arrived she received the highest scores after a long time at the Akademiya.

The next she walked across the streets of Sumeru, rather than being spat at with negative comments she was welcomed with gasps and friendly behavior. 

Deep within her she was not convinced. The two faced behavior the people showed towards her was not genuine. It rather instilled her with a deeper conscience of doubts and trust issues.

"One day ago they were behaving in a rude manner towards me but today, they respect me. Is that 'respect' truly coming from their heart? If so, how would they behave if I were to falter once more?" 

Y/n always contemplated such questions. Just like any day she was walking back home to port Ormos. It was night. Streets were empty. Only the sounds of the gentle breeze from the vast sea could be heard. 

As she walked back home, she was surprised to see the lights on and a pair of unfamiliar shoes outside. She heard giggles and laughter from outside. She opened the door to see her mother, drunk with another man who appeared from Mondstadt. 

"Oh dear! Meet my daughter, Y/n! She works at Akademiya and is a scholar!" Mother exclaimed. The man turned his head and looked at Y/n with a smile.

"Who is he." Y/n questioned back. She had a stoic expression. 

"My new friend whom I'll be travelling with for a few months." Her mother responded back. Y/n knew her mother was lying. M/n's eyes were not even looking into Y/n's eyes while talking, like a Coward.

"Do you like him mother. Of all people don't lie to me." Y/n said. M/n gasped and got up. "What would you do if I did?" 

"I do not approve. Do you not remember the promise you made after father died, mother? You wouldn't be with anybody else...?" Y/n questioned as she asked in a soft manner. 

"Then I will break it today. I love this man more than I could have ever loved F/n! Whether you like—"

"Stop. I'm out. I'm leaving port Ormos. You can have this house to yourself but if you ever come back to me seeking for financial help, I suggest you never show me your face ever again, Mother. For I have provided you with enough money." Y/n shouted and left the place. She slammed the door and left as she began walking towards Sumeru City once more.

Y/n's eyes were stinging as she wished to cry but her pride refused to. She quickly paced towards Sumeru. 

.

.

.

A few months passed. Y/n bought a house at Sumeru City and was well established. She returned to port Ormos for running a quick errand until she found out that her old house was sold off. When inquired, nobody knew who bought it. 

While walking back Y/n accidentally bumped into a man. She wasn't focusing where she was walking towards. Upon bumping, she almost fell backward till the person caught her hand and helped her stand back on her foot.

"Forgive me I wasn't looking where I was going to, Miss...?" He said. His emerald eyes were looking at Y/n's eye orbs. 

That was the first time Y/n ever met Alhaitham. 

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
END

a/n : I'M BACKKK so anyway I plan on updating this book more often but I'll need to complete my Kazuha fic firstly. Thank you for the support and omg halfway to 2K reads <3

Let me hear your thoughts on this chapter <3